Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Rasp or file with iron grip

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
All items7839 of 201237Beaded & fabric Wall  tapestry  31”x31” Indian ?What is this bicycle
Love it
Like it

officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
BenBen loves this.
Horseradishman1Horseradishman1 loves this.
kwqdkwqd loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
lisalisa loves this.
AnythingObscureAnythingObscure loves this.
yougottahavestuffyougottahavestuff loves this.
hunterqleehunterqlee likes this.
See 10 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 6 months ago

    (6 items)

    This appears to be some type of file or rasp having an iron grip with diamond shaped holes. There are two screws that secure the two sides of the grip that holds a square file or rasp rod. The file side edges are offset. It is 3 1/4” wide and the file rod is 1/4” square.
    Any information about this item would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


    1. Celiene Celiene, 6 months ago
      I think it's may be an Antique hand saw jointer. Ask this guy:

    2. Celiene Celiene, 6 months ago
      A dowel rasp? You put a small wood dowel in it to sand it?
    3. Celiene Celiene, 6 months ago
      No - not a saw jointer.
    4. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 6 months ago
      Not sure what or why exactly, but it strikes me as a tool that woulda been used to file the *edge* of something smooth and true. Hope somebody really does have the answer -- it's a curious and very cool thing one way or the other! :-)
    5. Celiene Celiene, 6 months ago
      Check out all the tool collectors on the web. One of them will know. I think it's for woodworking.
    6. slackjack, 6 months ago
      I'm sold on saw jointer for the answer.
    7. UncleRon UncleRon, 6 months ago
      Ice skate blade file
    8. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 6 months ago
      When I enlarge picture #2 the teeth on this are rasp as opposed to a file. I sooner think it is a cornering tool.
    9. UncleRon UncleRon, 6 months ago
      Look at pic #3. The cutting teeth are too far up inside the handle for a corner to touch them. The teeth are very aggressive but still a file. Also found one with a more narrow gap between the handles identified as a "saw jointer," or saw-tooth leveler, to make all the teeth of a hand saw equal in height prior to filing new teeth on it.
    10. Collectables59 Collectables59, 6 months ago
      Looks like some sort of pedal to me.
    11. Yeyepappy, 6 months ago
      I greatly appreciate the feedback from everyone above. I leaning toward a saw tooth leveler. However, I would appreciate any any other feedback. Also, has anyone seen anything like this?
      Again, thanks.
    12. Jefnf, 3 months ago
      Uncle Ron got it. I've skate sharpner

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.