Bakelite Necklace in Need of Re-Stringing

In Costume Jewelry > Bakelite Jewelry > Show & Tell and Costume Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Bakelite Jewelry6 of 275Bakelite chunky charm bracelet in Fall colorsBakelite and chrome panel bracelet

lentilka11lentilka11 loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.
Hel1Hel1 loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
auraaura loves this.
valentino97valentino97 loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.
PhilDMorrisPhilDMorris loves this.
TassieDevilTassieDevil loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.

Posted 4 months ago

freiheit

This necklace has been in the store for some weeks. Several times I looked at it but didn't buy it because of the clasps. The necklace has the cheapest lobster claw clasp you can imagine. It is strung on some kind of fishing line. The last time I went to the store, I took some time to examine the necklace carefully. I checked for the weight, the sound, and the smell. For $3 Canadian, I took my chances.

When I came home, I tested the necklace and it tested positive for Bakelite.

As it is now, the necklace is a bit over 32 inches long and weighs 92 grams. I will look for a more fitting clasp and re-string it, making it look more its age.

Thanks for looking:)

Comments

1. Newfld Newfld, 4 months ago
      Mary this necklace is gorgeous, such a beautiful wine color, and I love the graduated bead sizes. Great find!
    2. Newfld Newfld, 4 months ago
      Gudrun, my apologies. It is early and I thought this was Mary's post as she loves bakelite. Kindly delete the above, I will rewrite for you -

3. Newfld Newfld, 4 months ago
      Gudrun this necklace is gorgeous, such a beautiful wine color, and I love the graduated bead sizes. Great find!
    4. freiheit freiheit, 4 months ago
      Newfld, no apologies needed. It is actually a nice compliment to think of Mary. She has an amazing collection of Bakelite jewelry! I am working on it but bangles and brooches are almost non-existent here where I live. The only places where one can find some are antique stores, and there Bakelite is rather expensive:(
    5. valentino97 valentino97, 4 months ago
      Gudrun - this is gorgeous!! I rarely find bakelite necklaces - I always look. The color and graduated beads are wonderful :-)
    6. freiheit freiheit, 4 months ago
      Thanks so much for your comment, Mary. I seem to find necklaces but nothing else. We should team up for the perfect parure :)
    7. valentino97 valentino97, 4 months ago
      Yes, we should! But keep in mind I find most online or on roadtrips. My local thrift stores and antique malls seem to know what bakelite is. I rarely find anything here in CA for decent prices :)
    8. freiheit freiheit, 4 months ago
      I have the same problem. Only occasionally I find some Bakelite. Since people donate all kinds of things, I have to wonder where the good stuff goes. I rarely buy online because of the bad exchange rate and the high shipping cost in Canada.