F. Eggeman & Co. Toledo, Ohio Late 1880's

In Furniture > Trunks > Show & Tell.
Trunks243 of 2456Victorian decoupage metal TrunkCanvas Trunk Restoration

SpiritBearSpiritBear loves this.
yougottahavestuffyougottahavestuff loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

greendog

This is a very cool trunk that I picked up yesterday, I have been watching for one for a while and have seen two or three of them in the last couple months, but they have been to far away or to much money, This one was 20 min. away, the other ones I seen only had the X slats on the top and were tin covered, this one has the X slats on all five sides and is covered in leather. it has some issues but nothing I can't fix, I also know that this design was patented in 1884 by John Duguid, now, the label that is in this trunk has F. Eggeman only, and the label is in the shape a trunk that looks just like the one I'm showing, I have seen wall trunk labels with both Eggeman & Duguid, so they must have went in to business together at some point. the trunk is 34 inches wide, 28 inches at the peak and 20 inches deep, The interior is there but is in bad shape, I will show it, hope you like, greendog.

logo
    Trunks
    Rare Vintage Louis Vuitton Custom Clear Acrylic LV Monogram Mot Suitcase Trunk
    Rare Vintage Louis Vuitton Custom C...
    $2,750
    1945 Antique Lane Cedar Hope Chest 2075 Art Deco Waterfall Top Lock Removed
    1945 Antique Lane Cedar Hope Chest ...
    $450
    Maitland Smith Steamer Trunk Murphy Desk
    Maitland Smith Steamer Trunk Murphy...
    $1,916
    1920s Antique Steamer Luxury Garment Trunk
    1920s Antique Steamer Luxury Garmen...
    $1,200
    logo
    Rare Vintage Louis Vuitton Custom Clear Acrylic LV Monogram Mot Suitcase Trunk
    Rare Vintage Louis Vuitton Custom C...
    $2,750

Comments

1. WillysVA WillysVA, 1 year ago
      First time I've seen one like that. Look forward to seeing what you can do with it.
    2. greendog greendog, 1 year ago
      Thank you ho2cultcha, fortapache, yougottahavestuff, SpiritBear, blunderbuss2, officialfuel, JonB, greendog.
    3. greendog greendog, 1 year ago
      Thank you WillysVA, I've heard that Marvin Miller of This Old Trunk, has one just like it with the X slat work on all 5 sides, but have not seen it, this will be a fun one, greendog.
    4. greendog greendog, 1 year ago
      Thank you EJW-54 and MNNorth, greendog.
    5. greendog greendog, 1 year ago
      Thank you Vynil33rpm and Radegunder, greendog.
    6. greendog greendog, 1 year ago
      Thank you FatBoy64, shughs, sanhardin, leighanrn, Designer, farmlady, greendog.
    7. trunkman trunkman, 1 year ago
      Lovely find! I have one on my site for comparison... does not have the ‘x’ on all sides like yours witch is way cool! Looking forward to your beautiful restoration!
    8. greendog greendog, 1 year ago
      Thanks trunkman, I have been looking at it, greendog.
    9. TrunkerMarvin TrunkerMarvin, 1 year ago
      Yes, it's a beauty Greendog. I love the design of these and the special hardware. Fairly rare as you don't see many with the X design all around. Super find!
    10. greendog greendog, 1 year ago
      Thank's Marvin, appreciate the comment, thanks for taking a look, greendog.
    11. greendog greendog, 1 year ago
      Thank's sugargirl, greendog.
    12. bjb5859 bjb5859, 1 year ago
      Nice find Greendog,
      I'm thinking about moving out your way,It seems all the good trunks
      are in your neighborhood. I have one with the X design all around as well,but is covered in metal.
    13. greendog greendog, 1 year ago
      Thanks Ben, yeah come on down, I would like to see your trunk, send me some pictures, greendog.
    14. greendog greendog, 1 year ago
      thank you vetraio50, greendog.
    15. Drill Drill, 1 year ago
      A wall trunk hinge patent by F. Eggeman

Some J.Duguid history:

The Duguid Trunk patent that was spoken of.
    16. greendog greendog, 1 year ago
      Thank's Drill, appreciate the info, greendog.
    17. AnnaB AnnaB, 1 year ago
      It's beautiful, and i really love its age patina. Hope you can keep it where possible. Looking forward to seeing the "after" photos.
    18. Im4anythingOld, 1 year ago
      And whats not to love!! Gotta love all that special dated die-cast very cool!! Pretty rare piece I would think, I have never seen another like it!! Great find as always Brian!!
    19. greendog greendog, 1 year ago
      Thanks Tom, yeah I was actually pretty lucky on this one, the lady wanted more than I wanted to pay, after negotiating with her she came down 75 dollars it was still more than I wanted to pay and told her I was going to pass on it, a day went by and my wife said you better get it because you probably won't see another one like it, so I got it, greendog.
    20. Im4anythingOld, 1 year ago
      Yes she was right....it is better to bit the bullet sometimes than deal with the I would-a, should-a, could-a, factor for your remaining days..lol
    21. greendog greendog, 1 year ago
      Thank you RonM, greendog.
    22. Mike78, 1 year ago
      Amazing trunk. Just beautiful. I've never seen one like this.
    23. greendog greendog, 1 year ago