Share your favorites on Show & Tell

What is this?

In Cameras > Camera Accessories > Show & Tell.
Cameras1151 of 1424Roy Rogers & Trigger CameraOptica Salon-Säulen-Projektor 1922
Love it
Like it

Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
MattyGMattyG loves this.
crunchtasticcrunchtastic loves this.
Pop_abidesPop_abides loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
See 3 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 10 years ago

    (1 item)

    I'm hoping someone can tell me what this is or was used for. It folds down into a box like picture #1 but expands into some kind of stand. The top part has a black board with wood down the center on both the top and under side. The middle is a piece of opaque glass supported by wood. Towards the bottom of the wood on both sides is a zig zag pattern cut into the wood as if it was designed to maybe hold something on the glass. The bottom piece is a swiveling board where one side is a mirror and the other side is wood. There is some kind of push out drawer on the bottom that pushes out to the side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Mystery Solved
    Camera Accessories
    See all
    Kodak Vintage 35mm Film Case Classic Red - Hold 5 Rolls of Film
    Kodak Vintage 35mm Film Case Classi...
    Antique Brass DARLOT PARIS H J T Petzval Camera Lens
    Antique Brass DARLOT PARIS H J T Pe...
    Graflex Pacemaker Supermatic Speed Graphic Camera Heiland Synchronar Rapax 90mm
    Graflex Pacemaker Supermatic Speed ...
    Genuine Vintage Original Polaroid SX-70 Black Vinyl Camera Bag Carrying Case 188
    Genuine Vintage Original Polaroid S...
    Kodak Vintage 35mm Film Case Classic Red - Hold 5 Rolls of Film
    Kodak Vintage 35mm Film Case Classi...
    See all


    1. rniederman rniederman, 10 years ago
      This is a negative retouching frame. It dates anywhere from the late 1880s to sometime after 1900.
    2. too_much_stuff, 10 years ago
      This device is a photographic negative printer, it dates from the 1880s to about 1900.
      In those days, photographers did not have an "Enlarger", or device to project light through a negative to make a "bigger" photograph. Also, the negative was not a plastic film, but a plate of glass. This glass would have been the same size or smaller that the opening of the frame in you "Holder".
      Note that the top frame is Blacked out, this allows the photo printer to control the amount of time for the exposure. As the light passes through the negative, to the paper, it is called an exposure. The paper (actually cardboard with photo sensitive paper on top is placed on the bottom, then the negative, then the black paper "shutter".
      These are somewhat rare, and would be of interest to people that still practice "Antique" photography.
      Hope this explanation is understandable and correct.
    3. too_much_stuff, 10 years ago
      I had not seen <B>rniederman</B>'s response, as I was composing my answer at the same time. I did not intend to confuse or plagiarizer.
    4. peshcale, 10 years ago
      Thanks so much for helping me solve this mystery piece!
    5. rniederman rniederman, 10 years ago
      Just to clarify, the item is a retouching frame as opposed to a printer. Photographers often manipulated a developed neg, and these stands were designed to bounce light onto the plate to make it easier to retouch. Printers of this period have the appearance of a simple picture frame with glass and underlying felt covered blocks of wood with pressure springs. I have 1880s references if anyone is interested in seeing how these were advertised.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.