What do you make of this one?

In Costume Jewelry > Costume Pendants > Show & Tell.
Costume Pendants5 of 245Any Ideas Who Made This?Napier Bertolli lynx in forest pendant

keramikoskeramikos loves this.
Hel1Hel1 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.
yougottahavestuffyougottahavestuff loves this.

Posted 7 months ago

freiheit

Massive pendant, unusual, lapis, opal, coral, organic material....
    I have no idea.

Thanks for looking:)

Comments

1. freiheit freiheit, 7 months ago
      Thanks a lot, yougottahavestuff:)
    2. freiheit freiheit, 7 months ago
      Many thanks, Hel1, fortapache, and Newfld :)
    3. freiheit freiheit, 7 months ago
      Thanks for loving my pendant, jscott0363 and ho2cultcha :)
    4. valentino97 valentino97, 7 months ago
      A wonderful hand-crafted pendant. I love it! No, not sure what it is either, I haven't seen a similar item. Pretty great :)
    5. freiheit freiheit, 7 months ago
      Mary, thanks so much for your comment. I guess because the pendant is hand-crafted, it is even harder to find out anything. I was hoping that the three dots on the back could mean something and would look familiar to someone.
      The only thing close I found were much smaller and simpler pendants and it said that they were fossilized mammoth ivory.
      I guess I have to keep looking:)
    6. Recordmantime, 7 months ago
      It very cool ,Wonder if the bar is made to pop out at the added piece and pops out with some sort of secret code or jem or sign for mankind ...or it was meant to just hold it together... ya just never know ...but I like the challenge of finding out it's true meaning... '-))
    7. Gillian, 7 months ago
      Hi, The striations indicate ivory or bone of some kind. It's a gorgeous pendant, there's also some very nice 'stones', I think the blue one is Lapis, mystified by the red pieces. Perhaps the bar is holding two broken off pieces together.

A signature perhaps for the three dots?
    8. Recordmantime, 7 months ago
      Well now that I have some time speculate on this wonderful gem you came across I be leave it has thing to do with our planets ,. weather use by seamen or followers of the planets like monks ..to me the cut out piece is Sol, better know to most as the Sun, the Blue one is of coarse Terra , know as Earth by most.. the three red ones are .... luna the moon.. Bahram which is Mars .. and Jove which is Jupitier the three dots are to show its of 3rd Dimension as we all see things hear on Terra..with that said now I can transcend for a while... smiling .. I had a couple really old plates and vases which had metal rods like yours to stop the cracks in them which was done back in the day at a high cost ....but your seam to have a thin piece of something between the rod and bone ....?? hard to tell with out holding it ...its pretty neat .. could be just art or might have a meaning behind it ....guess I'll never Know ...later.. smiling
    9. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 7 months ago
      If it was made of plastic instead, I'd think it would be a "remote control car keyfob"...?? <giggle>
    10. Recordmantime, 7 months ago
      Like for a lambo ....AnythingObscure ,, If it was mine I'd have someone X ray it .. like a friend or family member .. years back I had Quite a few things x rayed from my girlfriends grandmother who still worked at the hospital @ 82 and smoking camels ..loved her.. ..I like the red, white and blue in this and would like to know how far the rod is in the bone and if that part is hallow...hmmmm
    11. keramikos keramikos, 7 months ago
      freiheit, Beautiful.

I suppose the base material could be some kind of 'fabulous fake,' but it does look organic, as you say, perhaps fossilized mammoth ivory.

It could also be the ivory of some other species. Elephant always comes to mind, but there's also walrus and even narwahl. :-)
    12. keramikos keramikos, 7 months ago
      I've been idly wondering whether any natural ivory other than elephant or mammoth would be thick enough to produce something like this pendant, and tripped on this ivory identification guide:

13. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 7 months ago
      Very unusual-I like the lapis and coral inlay!