Share your favorites on Show & Tell

What is this I have no ideal

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Recent activity5217 of 201134Mickey DOld Military Foot Locker
Love it
Like it

vetraio50vetraio50 loves this.
jscott0363jscott0363 loves this.
ToyrebelToyrebel loves this.
bobby725bobby725 loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
See 5 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 2 months ago

    (1 item)

    I found this in my stepdads vintage tools I have no ideal what it is, can y’all help me? Thanks very mich

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


    1. BDManasco, 2 months ago
      I have seen tools from all around the world but never saw this one.
    2. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 months ago
      I have seen these, but can't remember what it's for. Senility has it's advantages. I just don't remember what they are ! Probably come to me around 3:AM ! Was it whipping lead for body repairs ?
    3. Watchsearcher Watchsearcher, 2 months ago
      I can't tell by the pictures but if it is concave on one end and convex on the other end, it is a tool used in brick or block laying to finish the mortar edge between the bricks or blocks.
    4. bobby725 bobby725, 2 months ago
      Hard to tell from the pics, but Watchsearcher may be right, looks like a morter joint striker.
    5. hunterqlee hunterqlee, 2 months ago
      Wristwatches is right.
    6. hunterqlee hunterqlee, 2 months ago
      Ignor that. Watchsearcher is right.
    7. slackjack, 2 months ago
      Or perhaps..........a cotter pin removal tool. Sears used to sell them
    8. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 months ago
      Not convinced on either. The end of a trowel is rounded for finishing mortar joints & using a separate tool would be troublesome & slow work. I have an OLD Sears cotterpin remover and it is like a screwdriver with a pointed curlecue end. I've had one of these in my hand, but can't remember the use.
    9. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 2 months ago
      Pictures are terrible with a bad background. Aside from that it basically looks like a star adjuster that was used doing brake jobs years ago. Some used a pointed end while others used different width spoon type ends. The curve was for leverage because the star adjusters always rusted and locked up. My 2 cents.
    10. slackjack, 2 months ago
    11. Watchsearcher Watchsearcher, 2 months ago
      All the mortar trowels I've seen have a pointed tip which would make a "V" shape intention in the mortar and certainly can be used to finish the mortar.
      However, to achieve a rounded, indented or protruding mortar edge, a special tool is needed.
      I still believe this is a mason's mortar finishing tool if it does, indeed, have a concave/convex shape.
      Better pictures would help. Plus, markings may be obscured by grime in the posted pictures.
    12. Irishcollector. Irishcollector., 2 months ago
      Could it be a moulder's tool for putting the finishing touches to a sand mould?
    13. bobby725 bobby725, 2 months ago
      got a lot of ideas, need better pics.
    14. Ilikethings Ilikethings, 2 months ago
      I agree with Watchsearcher,...
    15. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 2 months ago
      By these fuzzy pics, I agree w/Watchsearcher too.. :-)

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.