Harrach Decorated Vanity Set

In Art Glass > Show & Tell and Art Glass > Bohemian Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Art Glass715 of 20182Uranium glass ashtray?My Hippos

jimtimjimtim loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
larksellarksel loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.

Posted 6 months ago

sklo42

To my surprise and delight the vanity set has been identified as Harrach. Thank you, Brian Severn.

Having declared myself a purist when it comes to Tango Glass I've had to call this a 'Decorated' Vanity Set! However I'm not certain what type of decoration this is. There is certainly relief....incised lines for stems and etched dished areas for petals and leaves. The colour is a problem and the floral motif is matt though the rest of the surface is glossy. If I take my nail from the glossy yellow into a leaf or a petal my nail goes down into hollows. However in some petals/leaves there are raised ridges (see image three).

The body is yellow with a thick clear outer casing. Would incising/etching into this clear layer make it matt/change the colour? Or is there something going on I haven't understood/recognised?

The comb tray is the same shape as the red /spatter one I posted recently, though all else is different. Both these recent sets are different again from the one I posted here five years ago.

At least it arrived in tact though as you see there are parts missing.

Comments

1. SEAN68 SEAN68, 6 months ago
      how lovely is this set!!
    2. sklo42 sklo42, 6 months ago
      That's not for me to say :)
    3. Broochman Broochman, 6 months ago
      Yes! It is very lovely. That makes two of us who say so! :)
    4. sklo42 sklo42, 6 months ago
      So must be true, thank you!
    5. Wow22, 6 months ago
      This is nicer than lovely! I've never seen one like this. And I'd call it Tango! ;)
      (But I don't recall seeing any etched tango.)
      The cut/etched design appears to be emulating (in a cruder execution) the style of some of the wonderful Loetz cut glass designs - https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/215382-loetz-cut-glass-part-1-crystal-aussen-r?in=441-activity
    6. sklo42 sklo42, 6 months ago
      I think it a plausible idea that the maker was imitating a high end product, I also think, after closer inspection, that the 'beige' colour simply comes from taking off the glossy surface. In parts the yellow layer is visible amongst the foliage.
    7. Ivonne Ivonne, 6 months ago
      Not only beautiful but also encouraging to ask questions concerning decoration,production ,type of glass etc.
    8. sklo42 sklo42, 6 months ago
      I agree, Iwona, that it's good to exchange ideas, even when it can only be opinion!
    9. Wow22, 6 months ago
      So, it's Harrach!! How interesting.
    10. sklo42 sklo42, 6 months ago
      Indeed, Wow22, and especially pleasing as the id adds to knowledge in general. All I knew at the outset was that this was unusual for a vanity set.