A Monumental Welz Vase in a Marker Décor - A New Find In Dallas!!

In Art Glass > Bohemian Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Bohemian Art Glass237 of 6026Welz Lidded JarWhite Riedel Perfume with Enameled Flowers

MALKEYMALKEY loves this.
larksellarksel loves this.
sklo42sklo42 loves this.
auraaura loves this.
scottvezscottvez loves this.

Posted 5 months ago

welzebub

Having been in Dallas yesterday to spend the day with my good buddy Chris Cope, and also to meet Paula Robinson, Chris happened upon this "Italian glass" vase while on his way to check out at the mall we were looking through. He kindly offered to let me purchase it, and said he would if I did not want it... :-) He knew I would, as it is the single largest piece of Welz I have seen or handled.

The vase stands at 12 inches in height and is approx 6 inches in diameter at the shoulder. The rim, which is cut and polished is 4.25 inches in diameter, and the foot is approx the same diameter as the rim. As expected with a cut and polished rim, there is no pontil mark on the underside.

There is no provenance mark that I can see, but that is not surprising. The vase is done in a very distinctive decor which is a Welz marker for sure!! The vase has 4 large "dimples" around the body.

Shown in the last pic with my decanter set and covered dish in the same decor. Welz examples in this large of a size are extremely hard to find.

Comments

1. Michelleb007 Michelleb007, 5 months ago
      Wow! That is a big one!! It looks super with your collection, Craig. I am amazed at the Bohemian glass you are finding in your new state! :)
    2. welzebub welzebub, 5 months ago
      I did not know this, and only discovered parts of it when Peggy and I traveled to Texas to buy a home. I have done more research since we moved. There was actually a large immigration of Czechs to Texas. Their migration started as early as the 1820's, with the larger influx starting in the 1850's. As of 2000, there were about 190,000 Czech-Americans in Texas, which is the largest concentration in the U.S. There are Czech museums and cultural centers around the state, and as late as the 1990's there were still a couple of regional papers in the state that were published in all Czech. I do not know if they still are. There are also about 12,000 Czech speaking Texans!!

There is a town about 150 miles from us called Praha, and it is considered the Czech Capitol of Texas, and is often referred to as little Prague.

I go to a bakery in the town of West, Texas which is North of Waco by about 30 miles, and it has two very large Czech bakeries. One of the pastries they brought with them is called a Kolache, and they are available in a wide variety of bakeries and donut shops in the area.

There are regional Czech celebrations in various parts of the state with Czech populations.

Who knew??
    3. Michelleb007 Michelleb007, 5 months ago
      Well, the Czech glass makes sense, then! But yes, I never ever thought of their being Czechs in Texas! Good luck for you and your research! :)
    4. Wow22, 5 months ago
      Awesome.
    5. artfoot artfoot, 5 months ago
      A beauty - one of my favorite decors. And congratulations for serendipitously landing in the right place. I hope you make a few more useful connections.
    6. kralik1928 kralik1928, 5 months ago
      Very nice piece - yes large Welz are very hard to find