Share your favorites on Show & Tell

unknown large wood handled tool

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Recent activity70341 of 237900Old MICRO DICE In CaseMilitary Ribbons & Medals
Love it
Like it

AnythingObscureAnythingObscure loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
ttomtuckerttomtucker loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
yougottahavestuffyougottahavestuff loves this.
See 7 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 4 years ago

    (1 item)

    This item is 19 1/2 inches long. There are no names or marks of any kind on the wood or metal. The handles open straight out and that pulls the center of the metal part down. It was found when doing an estate sale but was not with other tools to give me any clue to its purpose. Would love to know its use. Thank you

    If I set a pen across the 2 "hook" like things and close the handles the moving part slides under the pen. I don`t know if this helps.

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    17" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/Glass Knob In Antique Turquoise/Teal Accent
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/G...
    Slide Bolt Door Latch Forged Wrought Iron Cabinet Lock Antique Cabinet Catch DIY
    Slide Bolt Door Latch Forged Wrough...
    One Pair of RESTORED Antique Glass Crystal Door Knobs- Many Available!
    One Pair of RESTORED Antique Glass ...
    17" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
    See all


    1. Roycroftbooksfromme1, 4 years ago
      Some thing to do with cutting or crimpimg wire or something on to wire ....???? just a guess
    2. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 4 years ago
      I would say it is an old joiner for wire fence. When the fence wire breaks you open this wide loop the broken ends around the upright tangs then squeeze the handles together to pull the wire tight. Then your helper does a splice from wire to wire over the plate that forms when this is closed.
    3. Roycroftbooksfromme1, 4 years ago
      I aint buying it dont see how it dont pulls the wire ,but it dose look like hooks on to something then pushes something off ...smiling .. but ifin I'm wrong,.. my hats off to ya
    4. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 4 years ago
      Could you perhaps replace one of the last couple pics with another showing what it looks like with the handles sorta 'halfway open/closed...? I'd love to have a better idea of what the 'blades' within it actually are...?? :-)
    5. Skybar, 4 years ago
      I changed the pics. Hope it is helpful. If anyone wants more info leave a comment.
      Thanks for helping
    6. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 4 years ago
      Now obvious it isn't what I thought. Pictures are very helpful.
    7. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 4 years ago
      The photos help a lot, I think that it's a banding crimper, but missing a baseplate, that the hooks would lock into, and hold the banding as the crimping jaws crimp the two bands, and coupler together, at the edge of the bands. Look up "banding crimping tools images", it will give an idea of what I'm talking about, but I couldn't find one like yours. An idea that might help! Good Luck :^)
    8. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 4 years ago
      Bill that sounds reasonable. I have used modern ones but never a real old one. Does look similar.
    9. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 4 years ago
      I was going to take photos of one that I have, but here's one on Laurelleaffarm, that shows what I was talking about, and picks up well, showing the similarities, of the two tools:

      The one on Laurel's post is a more modern type, and the one that skybar has, could have been one that was improved on, for the ones that are used today, but then again, I could be way off! :^)
    10. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 4 years ago
      Bill the one you show is for flat band connectors. I think this one with the rounded prongs is more like a gripple crimper.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.