Crushed stone Mexico sterling pin/pendant

In Fine Jewelry > Mexican Jewelry > Show & Tell and Fine Jewelry > Sterling Silver Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Mexican Jewelry5 of 236Pharoah cufflinks could be 30's, 50's, 80's!1916  USNG silver Mexican border pendant?

kyratangokyratango loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.
kwqdkwqd loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.

Posted 1 month ago

valentino97

I saw this 2" stone/sterling pin/pendant online and thought it could match a cuff I have. Yes it does. These items don't last forever: the stones chip easily because the composite is fairly soft. The technique is stones are crushed, "powdered", then pressed onto an adhesive backing, and polished smooth. I think my pin's dominate stone is dyed calcite. (researched "Mexican Jewelry" by Mary L Davis and Greta Pack, 1963).

But these are in great shape. The silver channel on brooch is a tiny bit wider than the bracelet. (I've posted the Metales Casados bracelet before: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/82645-metales-casados-wave-chip-bracelet-and-earrings) It's FUN to make a "set". I am not sure but I think these are 1950's-60's items.

Thanks for looking and any comments :-)

11/7/2019

logo
    Mexican Jewelry
    Gold Aztec Mayan Mexico Sun Calendar Pendant 3 sizes: Small, Medium, Large
    Gold Aztec Mayan Mexico Sun Calenda...
    $200
    1 Vintage Alpaca Taxco Silver Pendant w/ turquoise blue sky rainbow mother pearl
    1 Vintage Alpaca Taxco Silver Penda...
    $8
    Pre-1948 Mexico Sterling Silver Triple Curb Link Necklace 126 Grams 17 In TAXCO
    Pre-1948 Mexico Sterling Silver Tri...
    $76
    Pre-1948 Mexico Sterling & Amethyst Art Deco Link Bracelet & Earrings 55 Grams
    Pre-1948 Mexico Sterling & Amethyst...
    $56
    logo
    Gold Aztec Mayan Mexico Sun Calendar Pendant 3 sizes: Small, Medium, Large
    Gold Aztec Mayan Mexico Sun Calenda...
    $200

Comments

1. Newfld Newfld, 1 month ago
      Gorgeous Mexican sterling piece, the pattern is so cool I love it
    2. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 1 month ago
      very nice piece valentino!
    3. Broochman Broochman, 1 month ago
      It's beautiful Mary - Love the design!! And the photography is excellent! :D
    4. truthordare truthordare, 1 month ago
      Really interesting Mexican style of jewelry, never seen this before Mary. Thanks for posting.
    5. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 month ago
      I love the Aztec zigzag effect !~
    6. valentino97 valentino97, 1 month ago
      Thanks for your loves - Kevin, Fort, kwqd

Jenni - yes, it is a nice, looks good on black sweater. I was thrilled to find it.

ho2cultcha - yes, I love it - my favorite color.

Ken - ha ha, it was shot in a crate n barrel linen "shoe box" closet organizer, and with my old phone camera last night.

Maureen - Maybe because they get beat up. I have a few other pieces w/gouges. I could do a "kyratize" on those. Usually these were done with dark blue or this green color. I don't even know if this is real crushed stone. I think it is but need to do more research.

Phil - yes the geometric design is main reason I love this.

Thanks friends for your loves - Hel1, keramikos, Manikin :-)
    7. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 1 month ago
      It compliments your bracelet very nicely!
    8. valentino97 valentino97, 1 month ago
      Thanks MrsT - I thought so too, very happy to start a "set". I wore these today at work and got a nice compliment. Hope she checks out CW.

Thanks Thomas :-)
    9. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 1 month ago
      These are great pieces Mary! Have you looked up the maker? Do you think that says JCG?
    10. Alan2310 Alan2310, 1 month ago
      The Backdrop is clever for your picture, well done you, WOW for the pieces.
      Ditto MrsT
      Alan
    11. valentino97 valentino97, 1 month ago
      Share - I found a bit more info about this type of process, see above. This mosiac style originated in Pre-hispanic examples.

Alan - thanks, I went on you-tube "make your own lightbox", and realized I had a white shoebox that might work.
    12. foseatme, 1 month ago
      very nice!
    13. truthordare truthordare, 1 month ago
      This is from -maureen-, thanks for the sweet message. I suppose you are right, much jewelry is made but it does not age well. Especially soft stones and composite material. I still like the silver design. Thanks for the laugh......Lisa
    14. valentino97 valentino97, 1 month ago
      Sorry Lisa!! I think maybe I should just go by the CW handles. I don't want to offend anyone. I don't look at CW on my phone every day, then I catch up during slow work lull at home on the computer or on weekends. I asked myself "who? is this Maureen?' LOL Now that name is stuck in my pea brain.
    15. truthordare truthordare, 1 month ago
      It's ok Mary, I was afraid I had offended you.... just wondered. You are making me laugh again, you know how weird things get here on CW sometimes, don't worry about it. I trust you, and no harm done, call me anything you like. LOL.
    16. valentino97 valentino97, 1 month ago
      All good Lisa - Thank you again for so many nice comments. It does get a little weird on CW, just recently I was questioned about my bakelite expertise from someone selling...then I commented why they were wrong and it was deleted. I realize many sellers look at us on CW. Makes me hesitant to share sometimes, but the collector weirdo in me has to share :-)
    17. truthordare truthordare, 1 month ago
      Thanks Mary - even if we don't collect the same kind of stuff I enjoy your collections and knowledge. That is the best part of CW.

I have become more tolerant of new members, or the one post sellers who want to know about their item. YOu never know how that is going to go. I decide to either give a little info or just a love,

Us who have been here for a long time understand the culture and the appropriate way to communicate or not. Being deleted is not great. Funny how some people want to hear great comments, and if they don't get them, take it personally.

Anyway hope you are having a good weekend, I am. Take care. :-)
    18. valentino97 valentino97, 1 month ago
      Good morning Lisa - yes, I'm having a great weekend - dinner with friends last night at a 100 yr old house in Highland Park (South Pasadena). Craftsman style home that sadly had some bad remodelling over the years. At least they kept all the windows and built-ins. Thanks for your insights on CW etiquette :-)
    19. valentino97 valentino97, 1 month ago
      foseatme thanks for your nice comment:-)

Also thank you friends: Ivonne, aura, ANythingObscure :-)