Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Anyone know what this is?

In Sewing > Sewing Tools > Show & Tell.
Sewing1401 of 1628Singer sewing machine in a box with extras.Old button from Grandma
Love it
Like it

Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 6 years ago


(1 item)

It was in with my grandmother's sewing stuff, she was 1881-1949, passed thru my mother. I never asked what it was & now I'm curious. There is no manufacturer's mark or country of origin on it. It's made of steel, responds to a magnet. Has hard rubber pads on the grippers. Ever seen one? Any suggestions where to research it? Any idea how it was used? Thanks! Ann

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. Rebecca, 6 years ago
    Could this be something used in the making of lace or tatting? I've seen sewing notions along these lines that attach to the edge of a table to help stabilize a bobbin (for tatting) or loose threads. Try searching vintage/antique lace making notions or tatting notions. I may be completely wrong but good luck in your search!
  2. Ann, 6 years ago
    Thanks, I'll look there.
  3. Nancy Salisbury, 6 years ago
    It is called a sewing bird . The part with the screw clamp , clamps onto a table top and you open the other end to hold whatever you are working on . Thus it frees up both hands to sew or tat .
  4. Ann, 6 years ago
    Thank you so much!

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.