Sanyu/Narumi Fantasy Glass cranberry vase

In Art Glass > Japanese Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Japanese Art Glass28 of 49Merry Christmas from the US Postal Service!ArtGlass by Iwatsu faux onyx vase

philmac51philmac51 loves this.
miikemiike loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
auraaura loves this.
BroochmanBroochman loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
renedijkstrarenedijkstra loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.
glassiegirlglassiegirl loves this.

Posted 4 months ago

kwqd

This vase is 9.5" high x 5" wide. The inner layer is amethyst with a thick clear layer over it. The bottom has a ground and polished, concave finish and the edges are ground flat. There are a few cream colored inclusions in the glass. It weighs 4 lbs 7 ounces, a fair sized hunk of glass. The seller claimed it is Murano. A nice hunk of glass, regardless of who made it. After looking at many images of Narumi/Sanyu glass, I found only one image in a Japanese auction, which ended long ago, of an identically formed and labeled vase. Since the auction data appears to be gone, I could not compare sizes, weights, etc. The vase in the image was multi-color, but one of the colors appears to be the cranberry color of my vase. Unless one vase is an outright copy of the other, I think they are by the same maker, so calling this vase Sanyu/Narumi Fantasy Glass.

Mystery Solved
    logo
    Japanese Art Glass
    Murano Vintage Glass Vase- Kamei Glass Works, by Tosti Iwata Osaka, Japan
    Murano Vintage Glass Vase- Kamei Gl...
    $345
    Classic Style Kiriko Cut Style Blue Glass Tumbler 310 ml 10.5 fl oz F/S
    Classic Style Kiriko Cut Style Blue...
    $95
    Edo kiriko Cut Glass Cup Tumbler Sake Japanese Traditional New Blue
    Edo kiriko Cut Glass Cup Tumbler Sa...
    $70
    Rare Tea Ceremony Tea Caddy Chaire Glass Edo Kiriko Hoshino Workshop made Rikyu
    Rare Tea Ceremony Tea Caddy Chaire ...
    $499
    logo
    Murano Vintage Glass Vase- Kamei Glass Works, by Tosti Iwata Osaka, Japan
    Murano Vintage Glass Vase- Kamei Gl...
    $345

Comments

1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 4 months ago
      More likely to be Chribska and not Skrdlovice. But I love it.
    2. renedijkstra, 4 months ago
      it looks an easy one but it,isnot because there are 7 beranek designers its hard, it aint berinjela murano, weird opinion, i run all the palecek also all the beranek brothers and the jezeks, it will take a while
    3. vetraio50 vetraio50, 4 months ago
      It could even be Japanese.
    4. renedijkstra, 4 months ago
      probablyJan Beranek (attr.) - Skrdlovice glass works - Vase - see catawiki richard de graaf
      i agree because it got the spikes, the problem is jan beranek made almost only flattops, but i cant discuss it with Ricard because i burned him to the ground in a trade journal for his bad appraisals
    5. renedijkstra, 4 months ago
      i think vetraio shot is as good as mine, there are so many choices , its almost inconclusive
    6. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Thanks for the comments. I will just enjoy it and hope that future research will help to sort out its origins. Since I am a novice with Bohemian art glass, I typically stick to labeled examples, but if I find something I really like for a good price I don't mind not knowing who made it. I will go back to the sites that claimed similar pieces were Skrdlovice and see if there is more information about how the identification was made.

Thanks for clicking for my vase vetraio50, Jenni and glassiegirl!
    7. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Thanks fortapache and renedijkstra!
    8. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Thank you aura and Broochman!
    9. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Thank you miike, Karen and SEAN68!
    10. APEXantiques APEXantiques, 3 months ago
      Chirbska
    11. kwqd kwqd, 3 months ago
      @APEXantiques - Thanks for your comment. What are you basing your assessment on?
    12. kwqd kwqd, 3 months ago
      Thank you philmac51!
    13. kwqd kwqd, 3 months ago
      Update?! While researching Sanyu/Narumi Fantasy Glass, I came across this single, small remaining image of long ended Japanese auction which shows a very similar style of vase. The colors are different, but it looks like the same vase to me. It also has the Narumi Fantasy Glass label. This is all that I could find on this auction, though. Image inset into images #2 and #4. Thoughts on this?