Japanese vase? Maker unknown.

In Art Glass > Japanese Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Japanese Art Glass9 of 37Iwata large bowlVintage Japanese chop marks

IvonneIvonne loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
BroochmanBroochman loves this.

Posted 28 days ago

kwqd

This vase is 9" (22.8 cm) high x 5" (12 cm) in diameter with a bottom that is ground flat and polished. It weighs 5 lbs 4 ounces (1.8 kg). It was offered to me as a Beranek Andromeda vase, but I am not convinced of that. It is, though, a very striking piece and quite a hunk of glass, at that. Any opinions on this one? Putting it in the generic art glass category, for now.... I am using the seller's images with his permission.

logo
    Japanese Art Glass
    Murano Vintage Glass Vase- Kamei Glass Works, by Tosti Iwata Osaka, Japan
    Murano Vintage Glass Vase- Kamei Gl...
    $345
    Seguso? Silver Aventurine and Black Glass Decanter Murano Italian 12 Kurata ?
    Seguso? Silver Aventurine and Black...
    $200
    JAPANESE SAKE Cut Glass Edo Kiriko Old Fashion Japanese
    JAPANESE SAKE Cut Glass Edo Kiriko ...
    $147
    Edo kiriko Cut Glass Cup Tumbler Sake Japanese Traditional New Blue
    Edo kiriko Cut Glass Cup Tumbler Sa...
    $70
    logo
    Murano Vintage Glass Vase- Kamei Glass Works, by Tosti Iwata Osaka, Japan
    Murano Vintage Glass Vase- Kamei Gl...
    $345

Comments

1. kwqd kwqd, 28 days ago
      I have a guess as to what it is, but don't want to influence anyone's opinion..
    2. kwqd kwqd, 27 days ago
      Thanks for loving my probably not Beranek vase Broochman and vetraio50!
    3. Newfld Newfld, 27 days ago
      Gorgeous colors, this is a real beauty Kevin
    4. artfoot artfoot, 27 days ago
      I haven't gone through the Beranek reference or catalogs so won't say for sure but my first impression is that this vase is Japanese.
    5. artfoot artfoot, 27 days ago
      At any rate, not Andromeda.
    6. kwqd kwqd, 27 days ago
      @Newfld - Thanks Jenni. I agree. It is a keeper.

@artfoot - Japanese was my first thought. I am working my way through the on line catalogs for Beranek and Skrdlovice, but not found anything in the 1960s. Broadening my search...

Thanks for loving my vase EZa, artfoot, Ivonne, Jenni and fortapache!
    7. Anik Anik, 27 days ago
      Really lovely vase, but not Czech. It's Japanese :)
    8. kwqd kwqd, 27 days ago
      @Anik - Thanks for your comment, Anik! My guess was Sanyu/Narumi...

Thanks for loving my vase Anik, PhilDMorris and surfdub!
    9. kwqd kwqd, 27 days ago
      I am removing the ebay link as the seller keeps all of their sales private. Thanks to Findings for posting it, though. Easy to find, for now, though...
    10. kwqd kwqd, 27 days ago
      Here is a Sanyu/Narumi vase with similar horizontal color bands:

11. kwqd kwqd, 27 days ago
      Thank you aura!
    12. kwqd kwqd, 27 days ago
      Thank you Ms.CrystalShip!
    13. kwqd kwqd, 26 days ago
      Moving this case to the general "Art Glass" category, for now, since the current consensus is that it is probably not Czech.
    14. truthordare truthordare, 26 days ago
      Darn the consensus is NOT Czech, and of course I think it is. lol.

I own a lavender neodymium Beranek vase in the same overall style and shape, yours is much more appealing with the colorful strands and uneven surface results, an optic challenge or what?

Mine has a gold label, Czechoslovakia, S.P.M. 1893 Quebec Import Label.

and another example with diagonal columns:

15. kwqd kwqd, 26 days ago
      @truthordare - Thanks for your comment and images! To me, it looks like a Beranek and Narumi vase had a child. I will say that the features on the two images you included are consistent and not a mix of horizontal and vertical features which span from top to bottom like on my vase, I think. I see that mostly on Narumi/Sanyu vases and have not been able to find it on other makers' work, yet. Here are some examples of the mix of vertical and horizontal features on Sanyu vases I have found:

What I haven't yet seen on any of the Narumi/Sanyu vases is the fairly even twisted foot that is on my vase. I've only been looking at Japanese glass for a view months, though, and the sample that I can view is limited. It may remain a mystery. CW has re-categorized it as Japanese Art Glass.... As Bart Simpson so eloquently puts it "I didn't do it!".

Thanks for loving my mutant vase truthordare, Thomas, AdeleC and bobby725!
    16. truthordare truthordare, 26 days ago
      Thanks K,
      There are more Emmanuel Beranek vases in the Mark Hill books, with a more complex surface. He states that some of these designs were unique as they were hand manipulated before they cooled. My issue is the colored glass and how it was incorporated, Beranek is more of a mix of colors, with less clear glass in between. IMO.
    17. kwqd kwqd, 26 days ago
      I need to get a look at those books, but they are so expensive, especially with the shipping cost to the U.S. My cats will eventually have their way with them, too. I gave up on the concept of "coffee table" books long ago. I will see if they are available via inter-library loan. It is also possible that one of the local universities has them. Maybe they will come out in paperback, some day! ;)
    18. Anik Anik, 26 days ago
      The vase is 100% not Czech (wrong base finish for Czech glass of this type, especially from Skrdlovice, and certainly not a Skrdlovice pattern)... it is Japanese though I know too little about Japanese glass to say which glassworks :)
    19. kwqd kwqd, 26 days ago
      Thanks Anik. I will keep digging.
    20. kwqd kwqd, 24 days ago
      Thank you bluderbuss2!
    21. kwqd kwqd, 24 days ago
      Less confused? This vase arrived today and I am a bit less confused. Every raised rib is manipulated, when, from the images, I thought there might be unmodified ribs. Nope. Also, none of the ribs twist as much or go to the top of the vase as is the case on the great majority of Beranek Andromeda vases I can find images of. I was also able to get a better look at the base and the finish is pretty identical to the vase I recently identified as Sanyu/Narumi Fantasy Glass in the link below. I guess I am moving further toward the Japanese identification.

I will try to get some pictures to illustrate my points,
    22. kwqd kwqd, 24 days ago
      I added an updated photo of the bottom. Much easier to see that the bottom was concave and then the edges were ground flat. Very similar to my Narumi vase in the link above. I also found a very large air bubble on one of the ribs, but there does not seem to be any danger of it breaking. The glass seems thick over it and it is on the side of one of the ribs. It can be seen in the first photo, third rib from the right just over half way up. There are a couple of other, smaller bubbles.
    23. antiquerose antiquerose, 23 days ago
      Not Czech.......clearly vintage Japanese Art Glass

Iwatsu, Sanyu, or Narumi ..... I think it is one of those
    24. kwqd kwqd, 23 days ago
      @antiquerose - Thanks for your comment! Sanyu was a product line (Fantasy Glass) of Narumi Glass works, so same company. Iwatsu had a couple of product lines, Hineri and Art Glass. Narumi is still in business but now makes crystal home wares, not art glass. Iwatsu went out of business in the 1990s. There were/are several other candidates, Some still exist and some don't. From what I have currently learned, I lean toward Narumi/Sanyu Fantasy Glass, but I just can't find anything else like this by them....
    25. kwqd kwqd, 22 days ago
      Thanks for loving my vase Nicefice and TreasureTex!
    26. renedijkstra, 21 days ago
      looks like sanyu because of the base and the lower claro part, but i am not sure
    27. renedijkstra, 21 days ago
      i think that seguso murano and sanyu were intertwined or inspirated, some people actuelly call sanyu japanese murano , i think the lower claro and the pontil could make it sanyu, i love talking bs dudes and dudettes
    28. renedijkstra, 21 days ago
      by the way dont forget the skarna part of Škrdlovice , i mean the non beranek part of it , dont get sloppy
    29. renedijkstra, 21 days ago
      dear lord i beg you help me out of this hinnom vally what happened to progress mark hill in 2020 its not 1920 its 6 year old ! was it on claytablets ?
    30. kwqd kwqd, 20 days ago
      @renedijkstra - Thanks for your comments. I will keep researching this one!