RMA Rubin Museum of Art creature brooch

In Costume Jewelry > Costume Brooches > Show & Tell.
Costume Brooches121 of 2314Pretty in BlueKnockoff or reject Trifari

PhilDMorrisPhilDMorris loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
shareurpassionshareurpassion loves this.

Posted 6 months ago

Mrstyndall

I received a group of brooches recently and the seller was kind enough to throw this one in. Not exactly sure what kind of mythological creature this is, but think it is pretty cool.

logo
    Costume Brooches
    Goldtone American USA Flag Enamel Lapel Pin Brooch Patriotic Emblem Multi Color
    Goldtone American USA Flag Enamel L...
    $7
    6 Piece Vintage Mixed Micro Mosaic Pin Lot
    6 Piece Vintage Mixed Micro Mosaic ...
    $42
    Vintage WWII Blue enamel rhinestone Silver SAILOR Navy man figural PIN brooch
    Vintage WWII Blue enamel rhinestone...
    $16
    Vintage Large Flower Power Floral Enameled Metal Enamel Pin Brooch Lot 15!
    Vintage Large Flower Power Floral E...
    $72
    logo
    Goldtone American USA Flag Enamel Lapel Pin Brooch Patriotic Emblem Multi Color
    Goldtone American USA Flag Enamel L...
    $7

Comments

1. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 6 months ago
      I haven't a clue either since I was so disappointed as a kid that unicorns weren't real, I never believed any of it!!! Lol...just kidding! But I really don't know. I do love it tho.
    2. Newfld Newfld, 6 months ago
      It's a gorgeous animal MrsT, looks like some sort of dragon to me
    3. LaurenRedmond LaurenRedmond, 6 months ago
      Umm...? Some kinda water horse? Are they stylised sea dragons/sea horses? The remind me of creatures I've seen in heraldic crests and on bridges and other buildings of such....it's very interesting!
    4. valentino97 valentino97, 6 months ago
      Have you contacted RMA yet? Pretty magical I agree w/Share, Jennie and Lauren.
    5. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 6 months ago
      Shareurpassion, haha, thanks for stopping by. I have seen this piece listed as a Keto seahorse/sea dragon
    6. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 6 months ago
      Jenni, so glad you like this. Thanks
    7. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 6 months ago
      I believe the sea dragon had the wings and the sea horse didn't.
    8. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 6 months ago
      Lauren, thank you so much!
    9. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 6 months ago
      Valentino, no haven’t. Did find something describing as a Keto?? Greek mythology
    10. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 6 months ago
      Fhrjr, it is from Greek Mythology
    11. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 6 months ago
    12. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 6 months ago
      A “Keto” is a mermaid creature, a primordial deity. Though there are many definitions and descriptions from numerous religions, this looks to be a Leviathan...known for it’s strange beauty. This brooch, coming from a museum, seems a likely candidate, yes? The mythology behind a Leviathan is incredible reading, such as it is one of the three Original creations. Along with Behemoth, ( a bull- like creature to rule over the land )& Ziz, ( a dragon who rules the skies), the Leviathan rules the seas, and is supposed to be so large, ( 300 miles long) man cannot comprehend it’s size.
      This is a beautiful brooch MrsT. And to receive it as a “bonus”, better yet!
      ( sorry for the mythology lesson, it’s been one of my passions since High School, Ha!)
    13. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 6 months ago
      Eileen, do not apologize, thank you for the info. It was nice to get as a bonus, glad you like it, whatever it is :)
    14. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 6 months ago
      Had to take another look. I love the different textures in this “magical, mythical, piece!
      And in pristine condition! Such a score!