Unmarked silver cuff bracelet

In Fine Jewelry > Cuff Bracelets > Show & Tell.
Cuff Bracelets2 of 52Extra Large Stamped Metal Bangle BraceletHas Anyone Seen this Makers Mark Before?

kyratangokyratango loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.
TreyTrey loves this.
AnythingObscureAnythingObscure loves this.
auraaura loves this.

Posted 3 months ago

valentino97

I am helping a friend with his mom's jewelry estate. This is a beautiful hefty 90 gram silver cuff bracelet, 1.75" wide. It's unmarked and I think it is sterling and possibly new which he doesn't want to believe. I can't find a similar item online. It's so nice and I want it to be expensive and old, but not sure why it would not be marked. Help from experts much appreciated.

3/1/2020

logo
    Cuff Bracelets
    VTG Sterling Silver - NAVAJO Turquoise Cluster Stamped 7" Cuff Bracelet - 29.5g
    VTG Sterling Silver - NAVAJO Turquo...
    $61
    David Yurman 14K Yellow Gold Sterling Silver Cable Cuff Bracelet Heavy 50.4g
    David Yurman 14K Yellow Gold Sterli...
    $164
    Old Pawn Sterling Silver & Turquoise Cuff Bracelet, Unsigned, 24.7g
    Old Pawn Sterling Silver & Turquois...
    $72
    18K JUDITH RIPKA Diamond Yellow Gold & Sterling Silver Hinged Cuff Bracelet
    18K JUDITH RIPKA Diamond Yellow Gol...
    $49
    logo
    VTG Sterling Silver - NAVAJO Turquoise Cluster Stamped 7" Cuff Bracelet - 29.5g
    VTG Sterling Silver - NAVAJO Turquo...
    $61

Comments

1. Newfld Newfld, 3 months ago
      Absolutely gorgeous silver cuff Mary, love the border detail and Greek key style design, what an excellent find!
    2. Brunswick Brunswick, 3 months ago
      Cher was partial to wearing this style.

Thomas.
    3. freiheit freiheit, 3 months ago
      Judging from the photos, it doesn't look mass produced or new. To me, it looks like something I would have bought. If I was a betting person, I would bet it is the real thing. Did you do any testing on it? Magnet, acid,...
    4. Daisy1000 Daisy1000, 3 months ago
      The design is called “Greek Key” or “Meander.” It was a symbol of Infinity or Unity in Ancient Greece. Yes, it could be either silver or silver plate — but this style was/is often made in .925.
    5. Broochman Broochman, 3 months ago
      It's gorgeous!! I thought you were the expert of this type of jewelry?! :-)
    6. valentino97 valentino97, 3 months ago
      Wow some great comments and clues! Jenni - that's right - Greek key. I knew it wasn't a Navajo item from the workmanship.

Thomas - I didn't know that about Cher - she has great taste.

Gudrun - yes, magnet didn't stick. Will locate my test kit. Thanks.

Daisy - His mother had been to Greece. I'll find out when she was there. Thanks for the name and clues of this design.

Thomas - Ha ha! "I know a little, baby I can guess the rest". ...Lynyrd Skynyrd - LOL

7. valentino97 valentino97, 3 months ago
      Sorry Ken!! I meant that last comment for you!!

Thanks friends for your loves: aura, AnythingObscure, Trey, watchsearcher, Fort, Ivonne, Phil
    8. truthordare truthordare, 3 months ago
      I also saw big Greek key, often used in early Asian 20th century decorative items but not jewelry. It reminds me of something this cuff with deep applied design and a twisted wire, and the niello dark background.

Maybe Baltic, Eastern Europe, looks for a tiny pressed mark on the edges, looks genuine silver to me. Thanks for posting Mary.
    9. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 3 months ago
      Hi friend! I think it is mexican. Search "mexican cuff greek key" and you will see that the pattern has been used in mexican jewelry. Mexican means great jewelry ofcourse :)
    10. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 3 months ago
    11. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 3 months ago
    12. valentino97 valentino97, 3 months ago
      Lisa - I am pretty sure it is silver but just hoped someone might recognize the item. There aren't any little marks around the edges. Thanks for your suggestions. I will figure out this bracelet mystery.

Elisabeth - thanks so much for links but this isn't Mexican after looking at your links. Most of my friend's estate items were stamped but this wasn't. His mother travelled everywhere. This motif could be from Alaska, Egypt, Greece. Still looking online. Thank you for the links dear friend!

Thanks for loves CW friends
    13. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 3 months ago
      Looks like Daisy1000 nailed it, and Elizabethan too. That's funny that it seems these are made by a lot of different people from all over the place!
    14. valentino97 valentino97, 3 months ago
      Share - it's amazing isn't it? I'm thinking it's from Greece. I wonder why it isn't stamped....I'm stumped! LOL

Thanks friends for loves: Hel1, Kevin, Lisa, Sean, Malkey, Karen, kwqd