Anchor Hocking glass piggy bank

In Coin Operated > Piggy Banks > Show & Tell and Glassware > Anchor Hocking Glassware > Show & Tell.
Piggy Banks15 of 124Dad's Leather Piggy Bank - KounoikeChalk Bear Still Piggy Bank "TEDDY"

TheonlyoneTheonlyone loves this.
PhilDMorrisPhilDMorris loves this.
Ms.CrystalShipMs.CrystalShip loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
Hoot60Hoot60 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
Vynil33rpmVynil33rpm loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
iggyiggy loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
MALKEYMALKEY loves this.
dav2no1dav2no1 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

kwqd

Carnival glass piggy bank by Anchor Hocking Glass Company 4” long x 2.5” wide and 3” high. Thrift shop find today. I was surprised that I didn't find one of these on CW already. I think this dates from the 1970s and was also made in amber, crystal and ? AH also made Snoopy, Liberty Bell, Mickey and Minney Mouse, Garfield the Cat and other shapes and sizes. Still easy to find all of these on on line auction sites and occasionally in thrift shops.

logo
    Piggy Banks
    Vintage 1998 Hello Kitty Badtz Maru Sitting on Chair Piggy Bank Sanrio RARE HTF
    Vintage 1998 Hello Kitty Badtz Maru...
    $50
    Fireman's Helmet Piggy Bank, Cast Iron With Antique Finish
    Fireman's Helmet Piggy Bank, Ca...
    $45
    VINTAGE CHALKWARE HUGE PIGGY BANK 13
    VINTAGE CHALKWARE HUGE PIGGY BANK 1...
    $70
    Vintage Sanrio Pekkle Coin Bank Piggy Bank
    Vintage Sanrio Pekkle Coin Bank Pig...
    $39
    logo
    Vintage 1998 Hello Kitty Badtz Maru Sitting on Chair Piggy Bank Sanrio RARE HTF
    Vintage 1998 Hello Kitty Badtz Maru...
    $50

Comments

1. dav2no1 dav2no1, 1 year ago
      Pretty cool. I have a small collection of pig shaped banks including cast iron brass and leather. But I don't have a glass one so I may have to add one. I also have a small collection of other type Banks.
    2. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      Thanks for your comment dav2no1! I have a few glass banks, but this is my only pig shaped piggy bank. You can find a good deal on one of these on ebay. Are you going to be posting some of your banks to CW?

Thanks for loving my oinker bank iggy, Thomas, Karen, Kevin, MALKEY, Jenni, dav2no1 and fortapache!
    3. Watchsearcher Watchsearcher, 1 year ago
      I had one of those piggy banks when I was a child!! I recall trying to get coins back out of the slot but, from experience, I can tell you it’s futile.
      Thanks for the memories, kwqd. >sigh <
    4. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      LOL, Watchsearcher. A "minor" design flaw! I think some pottery banks were designed so that you just broke them when you needed the coins, but with glass that would probably be too dangerous. Thanks for sharing your memories!
    5. Vynil33rpm Vynil33rpm, 1 year ago
      Please don’t break the bank ,
    6. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      LOL!!!!!
    7. dav2no1 dav2no1, 1 year ago
      Ok, I had to make 3 posts to get all the pictures. 2 are leather banks and 1 post shows my cast iron and brass banks.
    8. Hoot60, 1 year ago
      Yikes! No plug to get my money....I would be too stressed to put a coin in piggy :)
    9. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      Good posts dav2no1!

Yeah, mine is a looker, not a user, Hoot60.

Thanks for loving Mr. Pig Hoot60 and blunderbuss2!
    10. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 1 year ago
      Why do I remember seeing these for prizes at Carnivals or Fairs?
      Most likely I’m wrong...a distant memory?
      I love your “Piggy Bank”. Anyone ever wonder the origin of the name...”piggy “ bank?
      I read somewhere they go back as far as the 14th century!!
      Very nice post Kevin!
    11. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      Thanks, Eileen! Could be, but I just came across these recently so don't know any history of them. Lots of American glass houses of the 1930s-80s sold their wares to various venues. Some of the milk glass which started my glass collecting came from family member who traded Green Stamps for them at gas stations and supermarkets.

History of the piggy bank:

12. Watchsearcher Watchsearcher, 1 year ago
      kwqd, that’s very interesting history regarding clay and the word “pygg” (pronounced pug).....years ago in a college pottery class, we used a machine called a pug mill to thoroughly mix clay for a smooth texture....so that explains where the name for the pug mill comes from.
    13. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      Glad you found the information useful, Watchsearcher!

Thanks PhilDMorris!
    14. kwqd kwqd, 12 months ago
      Thanks for the hawg love Theonlyone!
    15. Theonlyone Theonlyone, 12 months ago
      I see these from time to time never new who made them ...thanks for the post..
    16. kwqd kwqd, 12 months ago