Small Japanese porcelain pot, circa 1900.

In Asian > Japanese Pottery > Show & Tell.
Japanese Pottery150 of 1276Tsukamoto Mashiko pottery for TakahashiBoxed Japanese style couples' dining set

truthordaretruthordare loves this.
Hoot60Hoot60 loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
auraaura loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
dav2no1dav2no1 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

kwqd

This little porcelain pot is 2.75" high x about 2.5" in diameter and is unmarked. I usually don't buy unmarked pieces but I really liked this one and it was cheap.. It is a bit wonky and irregular in shape and may have once had a lid. There is quite a bit of wear to the feet and much less to the paint, which is raised in places, and the wear pattern suggests age. The design appears to be of women, possibly geisha, in different poses. The white porcelain is decorated in gold, red and black, with lavender handles. I am not positive that it is Japanese and welcome comment on its origins, style and maker.

logo
    Japanese Pottery
    Japanese meiji satsuma pottery vase with mark
    Japanese meiji satsuma pottery vase...
    $225
    Antique Japanese large ribbed satsuma plate 19th century Meiji period signed
    Antique Japanese large ribbed satsu...
    $72
    Antique Japanese satsuma gozu blue 19th century Edo period jardinière on stand
    Antique Japanese satsuma gozu blue ...
    $34
    Antique Japanese small satsuma gozu blue vase 19th century Meiji period
    Antique Japanese small satsuma gozu...
    $23
    logo
    Japanese meiji satsuma pottery vase with mark
    Japanese meiji satsuma pottery vase...
    $225

Comments

1. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 1 year ago
      Wear indicates use as opposed to age. Being unmarked makes it a bit of a task to try researching.
    2. Congcu, 1 year ago
      Satsuma Moriage perhaps?
    3. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      That crossed my mind, Concu. I've found some similar style unmarked pieces. Thanks for your input.
    4. Congcu, 1 year ago
      You have some very nice pieces of Japanese art.
    5. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      Thank you Congcu. I have been fortunate in finding some good deals.
    6. Congcu, 1 year ago
      We have very similar tastes in Japanese pottery/porcelain. I have been fortunate to have spent some time in Japan during my USMC service and subsequent business
      career. I have visited several of the pottery making locations and various museums. Pottery is a way of life in Japan. Certainly a Shinto experience. Mashiko was the best!
    7. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      I was stationed there while in the Army but was more interested in stereo gear back then. My interest in art did not come to me until later in life.
    8. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      Thanks for loving my little probably Japanese pot fortapache, Kevin, Jerryboy, aura, blunderbuss2 and dav2no1!
    9. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      Thanks Jenni!
    10. racer4four racer4four, 1 year ago
      It's a lovely little piece, Kevin.
    11. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      Thanks Karen! I like it a lot!
    12. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      Thanks for loving my little pot Hoot60!
    13. truthordare truthordare, 1 year ago
      I recognize this type of Japanese decor, late Meiji export, the porcelain is also highly vitreous, not as refined as the later pieces. Say C1900, for the little jug, amazing that it is so tiny. Have no idea what the purpose was. Thanks for posting Kevin.
    14. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago
      Thanks for the information, Lisa, and for loving my little pot!
    15. kwqd kwqd, 1 year ago