1920's glassbead necklace possibly from Bohemia, with the look of the design of the Neiger brothers jewelry.

In Costume Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Costume Jewelry140 of 8675new photos - Beautiful Brooch Could it be ???Post nr 2 today Moonglow lucite necklace

valentino97valentino97 loves this.
dlpetersendlpetersen loves this.
PhilDMorrisPhilDMorris loves this.
Ms.CrystalShipMs.CrystalShip loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
AnythingObscureAnythingObscure loves this.
auraaura loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.

Posted 2 months ago

Elisabethan

Baught this glass necklace recently. Always fall for strange beads. I have no idea what this is, might be new? I like the soft color mixed with the very distinct pattern of the glassbeads. The necklace is 45 cm long. Strung on a old looking cotton cord with knots between the beads which you can't see if you don't separate the beads.

Mystery Solved
    logo
    Costume Jewelry
    I Am Edgar Berebi  Vintage All In A row Angels  Christmas Angels , Christmas Pin
    I Am Edgar Berebi Vintage All In A...
    $32
    VINTAGE JOAN RIVERS LIGHT PINK BABY HEART PASTEL FLOWERS BEAD CHARM PENDANT J52
    VINTAGE JOAN RIVERS LIGHT PINK BABY...
    $7
    Mega Large White Faux Pearl Dangle Clip On Earrings Vintage 1980s 2 1/2"
    Mega Large White Faux Pearl Dangle ...
    $13
    Brooch Women  Antique Vintage Crystal Pin Jewelry Accesso Feather Rhinestone
    Brooch Women Antique Vintage Cryst...
    $3
    logo
    I Am Edgar Berebi Vintage All In A...
    $32

Comments

1. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 2 months ago
      Thanks for love
      Vetraio50
      Fortapache
      AnythingObscure
      Aura
      Newfled
    2. kyratango kyratango, 2 months ago
      Try an UV torch on it! I bet the beads will glow :-)
      Google Neiger beads\necklaces, the pattern ones look furiously same as Neither brothers pieces!
    3. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 2 months ago
      Neiger Brothers?! Wouldn't that be wonderful!
      They are wonderful beads, they don’t look “new” to me, then again, I’m quite the novice when it comes to beads. Love the round ones with the etchings!
    4. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 2 months ago
      Do you think so Kyra?! I don't know but I have changed my mind as about them perhaps being new. Looking at them and the cord closely they don't look that new and had some wear. But Nieger? I haven't seen this pattern beads amongst their beads. But I don't know. That would be wonderful. Thanks for nice comment and support.
    5. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 2 months ago
      Thanks Ms.ChrystalShip for your kind coment. That would be something. I agree they arent new.
    6. Congcu, 2 months ago
      I think Neiger also. See similar for sale on eBay # 92202251341. Very nice find.
    7. valentino97 valentino97, 2 months ago
      So nice my friend! I think you have old glass beads from 1920's, possibly Gablonz, North Bohemia (now Czechoslovakia) and that is where the Neiger factories were for awhile. The beads were probably restrung because Neiger beads have distinctive cotton knots to show off every bead. I think this is a marriage of wonderful old Czech beads! So nice.
    8. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 2 months ago
      Thanks Valentino! Yes I think that seem right 1920's. I don't know if Neigher brothers made their own beads or if they baught them. More makers might have made similar looking necklaces in Czechoslovakia if they didn't make the beads.

Now I have seen some of the smaller beads or similar ones in some necklaces on line. Some say Neigher brothers and some say czech or bohemian. It will be hard to solve. Either way it is nice with these elaborate beads.
    9. valentino97 valentino97, 2 months ago
      Neiger brothers had factories that made beads at first in Gablonz, Bohemia. They moved several times in the 1930's and then were arrested in 1942 and killed at Auschwitz because they were Jews.

They are not the only manufacturers of molded and glass beads during 1900's-1930's timeframe, but most remembered for their prolific output (they were salesmen!) and their horrible, unlawful deaths. Other companies made similar beads that are also as special.
    10. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 2 months ago
      Yes they met a horrible end, I know. And you are right about what you are saying. My last coment refered to that we often see jewelry said to be Neiger brothers. Their jewelry had a special beautiful style but I think maybe that style is not always only by them but people want it to be because prices go up. I didn't want to sound like if I asumed it was by them, even if it ofcourse could be. And I really would be happy if it was by them. I have several pieces that I think might be by them but I don't want to sound too certain. On the other hand knowing they most likely are from that time and place is good enough :) Thank you Valentino for your help :) it made me very happy.
    11. valentino97 valentino97, 2 months ago
      I agree! I hope I didn't offend or sound bossy. So much jewelry claiming to be Neiger brothers! It bothers me when I know sellers are just "jumping on a name" so that they can sell for more $. I have never been a label lover. There were many companies making gorgeous glass beads and jewelry. Sorry, I keep repeating that.
    12. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 2 months ago
      Valentino I think I felt we were saying the same thing :)
      Where I live costume jewelry was ofcourse worn back in the days, but like I have mentioned before it is not a big field of collecting and people in general pay no attention to it. Here it is signed classic silver jewelry from around the 60-70's that is the big thing. That makes it hard for me to find costume jewelry pieces of interest. But one good thing is that you don't see people saying "this was made by so and so...." they just sell "old necklace". It makes it hard to investigate the origin of the pieces I do find because people don't remember where it was bought or when or by whom. It is just old "stuff" they have. I see prices going up over time but I find that is more because some people are interested in a certain era or they want something different. So no, I don't see people saying a necklace is by the Neigher brothers. But here on CW we try to help each other to find answers and we can discuss if a piece is made by them or not but it is often so that you can't find a full answer. I recently found a seller in London who have a huge amount of years of experience of selling costume jewelry. In her online shop she was very open about the fact that there were more makers in the same are as the brothers who made similar jewelry. She was very careful about writing that something for sure was by Neiger and that was even with pieces that I for sure think many of us here would think was by them. So I think often being unsure is a natural part of collecting :)
    13. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 months ago
      I would have thought you bought this direct from the Congo, talk about beautiful vintage !~
    14. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 2 months ago