Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Queen Anne chair, possibly

In Furniture > Chairs > Show & Tell.
Chairs123 of 2950Any help with identifying this chair? Empire Chairs
Love it
Like it

auraaura loves this.
worthit2worthit2 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
MarmorealMaidenMarmorealMaiden loves this.
See 2 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 2 years ago

    (1 item)

    Legs look Queen Anne just not sure about the back. Been in the family for over 60 years, belonged to an uncle who was an antique dealer, he kept this for himself so it’s either something a bit special or he just liked it, not sure.

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    See all
    Antique Vintage 1950's Fluted Channel Back Queen Anne Wing Back Chintz Arm Chair
    Antique Vintage 1950's Fluted Chann...
    Vintage Original Mid Century Modern MCM White Chair
    Vintage Original Mid Century Modern...
    Vtg 70s EAMES Shell Chair Herman Miller Orange Fabric Taupe
    Vtg 70s EAMES Shell Chair Herman Mi...
    Vintage Lucite Smoked Howell Chair Acrylic Swivel aluminum tulip mid century MCM
    Vintage Lucite Smoked Howell Chair ...
    Antique Vintage 1950's Fluted Channel Back Queen Anne Wing Back Chintz Arm Chair
    Antique Vintage 1950's Fluted Chann...
    See all


    1. Dan100, 2 years ago
      Hi Hasbo,
      As far as I know, in the British Isles your stylish and unusual chair would be referred to as an Edwardian side chair. It comes from the late 19th/early 20th century. The curvy legs are called cabriole legs - cabriole legs came in originally in the 18th century and were much imitated in later years and are still today. I think the very fine and delicate back of your chair with its naturalistic leaf elements has some Art Nouveau going on - a style that was around in the late 19th century and that carried on more or less into the Edwardian era and a little beyond. If it is of normal height, and as it doesn't have arms, it would be called a side chair in the UK or Ireland . If it is very low in height it may be a nursing chair. If it is not a low height nursing chair, it is the sort of chair that in the UK and Ireland may originally have been part of a drawing room or parlour suite. A drawing room or parlour suite consisted of some side chairs like yours, some armchairs, a sofa and perhaps a chaise longue. If you do a Google images search using the search terms: edwardian, cabriole, parlour, suite, you will see clumsier versions of your chair - but nothing as fine as it.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.