Cast iron horses plate, Japan

In Animals > Horses > Show & Tell and Asian > Japanese Metalwork > Show & Tell.
Horses18 of 544Sotaro Saegusa cast iron abstract horse okimonoFenton Glass horse

AmphoraPotteryAmphoraPottery loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
Cokeman1959Cokeman1959 loves this.
mcheconimcheconi loves this.
jscott0363jscott0363 loves this.

Posted 5 months ago

kwqd

This cast iron plate is 9.5" (24 cm) in diameter x 1" (2.54 cm) high and weighs 4 lbs (2 kg). It has an applied finish and three pierced feet on the back which can be used to hang it or to set it on a flat surface. It originally had a "Japan" label on the back which has gone missing but the adhesive remains. I found a couple of other examples which still have the label attached, one with the original price tag on it. Guessing these plates date from maybe the 1970s or 1980s, but could be older or more recent. I don't know which foundry made these but they appear to be pretty good work, I think.

These came in several finishes, multi-colored like mine or a verdigris (blue green) finish. There may have been other finishes. I like the verdigris finish most, but this example was much less expensive than the other pieces I found, so here we are. I don't hate the colors, though.

I was born in the year of the horse, so have been keeping my eye out for something from Japan with a horse, or horses, on it and this fit nicely since I am currently in my Japanese metal phase. As with many Japanese items which have a sticker on the bottom, I suspect that these were made for both domestic sale and export. If anyone has any insight into this I would appreciate knowing if my guess is correct or incorrect.

logo
    Horses
    Chinese Porcelain Vase Very Fine Faux Bois Figures Horse Qianlong Republic 20th
    Chinese Porcelain Vase Very Fine Fa...
    $163
    Old Rare Vintage Antique Civil War Relic Good Luck Horse Shoe Appomattox VA.
    Old Rare Vintage Antique Civil War ...
    $25
    Antique Japanese Edo carved netsuke of Horse signed Tomoshige, 19th century RARE
    Antique Japanese Edo carved netsuke...
    $210
    Large 20th Century English Horse Portrait Of A Bay Racehorse by A.L. HAMMONDS
    Large 20th Century English Horse Po...
    $94
    logo
    Chinese Porcelain Vase Very Fine Faux Bois Figures Horse Qianlong Republic 20th
    Chinese Porcelain Vase Very Fine Fa...
    $163

Comments

1. Newfld Newfld, 5 months ago
      Really, really beautiful horse plate Kevin, very lifelike galloping image & great item for your year of the horse
    2. kwqd kwqd, 5 months ago
      Thanks for your comment Jenni! The foundry that made these did nice work. I hope that I can determine who made it... Japanese horse thing, Check!

Thanks for loving my cast iron horse plate fortapache and Jenni!
    3. jscott0363 jscott0363, 5 months ago
      That's a real beauty!!
    4. kwqd kwqd, 5 months ago
      Thank you jscott0363! It is pretty nice work.

Thanks for loving my cast iron horse plate mcheconi, Kevin and jscott0363!
    5. kwqd kwqd, 5 months ago
      Thank you Cokeman1959!
    6. racer4four racer4four, 5 months ago
      I am really enjoying all of your posts Kevin, such a variety of Japanese objects, and you always provide great info too.
      It was really only quite recently I realised how revered horses are to the Japanese, and important in their arts. This is such a dynamic design, really well done.
    7. kwqd kwqd, 5 months ago
      Thanks for your comment Karen! Glad you are enjoying these posts. It is an exciting time for me as I am revisiting my old associations with Japanese culture and learning new things. I was not overly interested in art and culture when I lived in Japan and later, but I was still influenced by them and was aware of it. For many years, I have told others that my years in Japan and my later connections to Japanese culture had a huge impact on me as a person, especially how I interact with people, but now realize I was not aware of the depth and breadth of the influences. Better late than never? Too bad I have lost my grasp of the written and spoken language to a great extent and struggle to regain some proficiency.
    8. racer4four racer4four, 5 months ago
      All things in life shape us I guess. I'm glad you are getting so much enjoyment from it, and giving it to us too.
    9. kwqd kwqd, 5 months ago
      Thanks for loving my horse plate Vynil33rpm, Thomas, RichmondLori, ho2cultcha, fortapache, Mrstyndall and Karen!
    10. kwqd kwqd, 5 months ago
      Thank you aura!
    11. kwqd kwqd, 5 months ago
      Thanks for taking a look blunderbuss2!
    12. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 5 months ago
      This is a beautiful piece Kevin!
      The detail is wonderful and I like the edging...it completes it.
    13. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 5 months ago
      Oh, I am sure you know each animal is associated with the five elements!
      I too, was born in the year of the horse, The Wood Horse. Then there’s Fire, Earth, Water, & Gold.
      My “characteristics” are : “Irritable & sentimental, with an abundant imagination, with an insightful analyses of issues” Fits me to a T!
    14. kwqd kwqd, 5 months ago
      Thanks for your comments and for loving my horse plate, Eileen! Interesting horse traits. My horse characteristics are a bit hit and miss. My Virgo traits are spot on, though...
    15. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago