Iwachu cast iron kuroneko (black cat) paperweight for Kotobuki Trading Company

In Animals > Cats > Show & Tell and Asian > Japanese Metalwork > Show & Tell.
Cats11 of 524lawwdy...being a 'cat owner'... <sigh>Cat Print of Etching by P. Barger

Ms.CrystalShipMs.CrystalShip loves this.
jscott0363jscott0363 loves this.
auraaura loves this.
BrunswickBrunswick loves this.
dav2no1dav2no1 loves this.

Posted 4 months ago

kwqd

This cast iron black cat (kuro neko) is about 2.25" long x 2.25" high x 1.5" wide. It weighs just a bit over 8 ounces so is surprisingly heavy for its size. These are still being made by Iwachu and sold by various retailers, including Kotobuki Trading Company. I have been looking at these for a while and finally found a used one at a reasonable price. Iwachu makes half dozen versions of cat and dog paperweights. No idea how old this cat is. Kotobuki Trading Company was founded in 1963 and has averaged a couple of dozen employees since then. I paid off my December bills early so starting my January budget with a few small purchases, in both cost and size, and planning two larger purchases all probably metal ware. I will probably exhaust my budget early this month, again, but I am still waiting on December items which have been limbo so will have some non-metal things to post. Of course, I could just dig into my pile and post a couple of things I have considered posting but not gotten around to. Planning on at least one artist of the month post in January.

logo
    Cats
    Vintage JSC Ceramic Porcelain Orange Red Tab Persian Cat Figurine
    Vintage JSC Ceramic Porcelain Orang...
    $51
    Baccarat France Frosted Glass Egyptian Cat Figure
    Baccarat France Frosted Glass Egypt...
    $51
    Antique Vintage Czech Glass Miniature Lucky Blue Cat Cracker Jack Charm
    Antique Vintage Czech Glass Miniatu...
    $57
    Vintage FENTON GLASS Hand Painted Burmese Sitting Kitty CAT Rose by L Everson
    Vintage FENTON GLASS Hand Painted B...
    $31
    logo
    Vintage JSC Ceramic Porcelain Orange Red Tab Persian Cat Figurine
    Vintage JSC Ceramic Porcelain Orang...
    $51

Comments

1. Newfld Newfld, 4 months ago
      Very handsome cast iron black cat, nicely formed & realistic pose
    2. jscott0363 jscott0363, 4 months ago
      Great little paperweight! I've never been much of a cat lover, but I really love this.
    3. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 4 months ago
      I’m a cat lover! Even black cats! And this is so sweet. I didn’t realize how small until I read your description!
      At that size, you should get them all! Won’t take up much room!
    4. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 4 months ago
      SO cute!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
    5. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Thanks Jenni! The Japanese do really well in representing animals in art, don't they?

Thanks, jscott0363! It is pretty well done. Hard to do in iron?

Thanks, Eileen! Me too! I have had cats my entire adult life, coming from a dog family that never had a cat when I was growing up. I brought one home from the Army and my parents were horrified but became dog AND cat people for the rest of their lives. They are pretty expensive relative to their size, so it will take me a while to get them all, but I probably will, even the dogs...

Thanks, AnythingObscure! Cat = Cute to me!

Thanks for loving my Iwachu cat paperweight fortapache, AnythingObscure, Eileen, jscott0363, aura, Thomas, Jenni and dav2no1!
    6. LaurenRedmond LaurenRedmond, 4 months ago
      Very sleek and beautiful, I love him, the pose makes hi look so curious, I can imagine him sitting looking like that into a mouse hole maybe? Or as a witches familiar watching her cauldron bubble, he makes a great desk companion! :P
    7. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Thanks for your comment LaurenRedmond! Something has his attention, doesn't it!

Thanks for loving my iron cat LaurenRedmond, Watchsearcher, Kevin, Vynil33rpm, Karen and Hoot60Hoot60!
    8. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Thanks for your comment LaurenRedmond! Something has his attention, doesn't it!

Thanks for loving my iron cat LaurenRedmond, Watchsearcher, Kevin, Vynil33rpm, Karen and Hoot60!
    9. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Thanks blunderbuss2, SEAN68 and RichmondLori!
    10. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Thanks for taking a look at and loving my Kotobuki/Iwachu cat ho2cultcha!
    11. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Thanks for loving my Iwachu cat Moy!
    12. rhineisfine rhineisfine, 4 months ago
      Sweet find, very naturalistic and beautiful! Aren't Japanese cast iron paperweights lovely?
    13. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Thanks rhineisfine! The Japanese do a great job on these small pieces. I hope to add a few more to my collection.

Thanks for loving my little cat rhineisfine and SEAN68!
    14. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Thank you Lamplover78!
    15. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Thanks for loving my little iron cat Vynil33rpm!
    16. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago