Sotaro Saegusa cast iron Akita okimono

In Animals > Dogs > Show & Tell and Asian > Japanese Metalwork > Show & Tell.
Dogs102 of 941Imperial Glass parlor puplawwdy...being a "dog owner"... <sigh>

jscott0363jscott0363 loves this.
Cokeman1959Cokeman1959 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
dav2no1dav2no1 loves this.

Posted 11 months ago

kwqd

This Sotaro Saegusa okimono is made of cast iron and is 4" high x 4" long x 2" wide, weighs 2.4 lbs and is marked by the artist. This is the last of my December purchases which has been in the Mail Twilight Zone. I found this on an on line auction site from a seller who had a lot of Japanese pieces which they apparently knew a good deal about and this Akita that they knew nothing about. I got a good deal on it as a result, even bid them down a bit. I already have an Akita okimono by Saegusa but really liked the coloring on this one. The other one came with an original box and other materials, so I am going to put that one away and display this one that came on its own. I really like Saegusa's work and this one is a bit smaller, so also easier to find a place for.

logo
    Dogs
    English Print Dachshund Doxie Long Haired Puppy Dog Vintage Art Poster Picture
    English Print Dachshund Doxie Long ...
    $10
    English Picture Print Miniature Poodle Dog Dogs Puppy Puppies Vintage Poster
    English Picture Print Miniature Poo...
    $10
    Vintage English Print Dachshund Dog Puppies Dogs Puppy Poster Art Picture
    Vintage English Print Dachshund Dog...
    $10
    Vintage English Print Dachshund Dog Puppy Puppies Art Vintage Poster Picture
    Vintage English Print Dachshund Dog...
    $12
    logo
    English Print Dachshund Doxie Long Haired Puppy Dog Vintage Art Poster Picture
    English Print Dachshund Doxie Long ...
    $10

Comments

1. Newfld Newfld, 11 months ago
      Really nice coloration on this Akita, he's a handsome one!
      My pkges are still in the postal TZ as well, they are sending out alerts "understaffed due to the virus" so wonder if the delays will continue :(
    2. dav2no1 dav2no1, 11 months ago
      My sister fostered one of these Akita dogs. That thing could probably tow you car out of a ditch!

My niece was about 75 pounds and it was funny to watch her trying to walk it..more like dragging her everywhere. Funny until it did the same to me.. then it killed one of the chinchillas and it had to go.
    3. kwqd kwqd, 11 months ago
      Thanks Jenni. I am not too optimistic that the mail delays are going to get better very soon. Looks like the Covid crisis is going to get a bit worse before it starts getting better.

Well, that is no good dav2no1. Sounds like the American Akita breed is a lot more aggressive than the Japanese breed. Americans bred three other flavors of dogs into the American breed. The Japanese don't recognize them as Akitas.

Thanks for loving my latest dawg Kevin, blunderbuss2, dav2no1 and Jenni!
    4. jscott0363 jscott0363, 11 months ago
      Most excellent!!
    5. racer4four racer4four, 11 months ago
      I love the incline of Saegusa's animals, and the slender feet, quirky and stylish.
      I'm impressed you are finding such beautiful pieces by him Kevin!
    6. kwqd kwqd, 11 months ago
      Me too, Karen! This is the last of the unidentified Saegusa pieces that I could find. Guessing it will be a long time before I add another one to my pile.
    7. kwqd kwqd, 11 months ago
      Thanks for loving my Japanese pooch aura, PhilDMorris, Manikin, Thomas and elanski!
    8. kwqd kwqd, 11 months ago
      Thanks jscott0363 and Blammoammo!
    9. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 11 months ago
      I am so glad this wonderful pooch made it safely to your home.
      I too, have had problems with the USPS. Bought my Daughter a pair of vintage Vuarnet sunglasses, NOS, from France, and the package was held up in customs for over two months! A pair of shades kidnapped!
      I too, love the coloring, along with the design, he’s fabulous Kevin!
    10. kwqd kwqd, 11 months ago
      Thanks Eileen! I like the coloring, too. Things are probably not going to get back to normal, shipping-wise, for a few more months, I think. At least I have eventually gotten everything, though a couple of items are still "in the mail".
    11. kwqd kwqd, 10 months ago
      Thanks for loving my Saegusa Akita okimono Vynil33rpm and valentino97!
    12. kwqd kwqd, 10 months ago
      Thank you ho2cultcha!
    13. Theonlyone Theonlyone, 10 months ago
      nice color.....................................
    14. kwqd kwqd, 10 months ago
      Thanks for your comment Theonlyone! The colors are what attracted me to this piece!

Thanks for loving my Saegusa dawg Theonlyone and LovelyPat!