Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Some type of tool / work holder

In Lamps > Show & Tell and Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Solved mystery items125 of 11350Vintage Chinese Bronze Ritual Wine VesselsPresident Abraham Lincoln and Vice President Andrew Johnson
Love it
Like it

TorqueTorque loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
PhilDMorrisPhilDMorris loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
dav2no1dav2no1 loves this.
auraaura loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
AnythingObscureAnythingObscure loves this.
See 6 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 4 months ago

    (16 items)

    Hello all,
    I found this at an estate sale. It appears to be some type of holding device for fine work. Maybe fly tying (though all the fly tying holders I've seen are completely different) or fine craftwork or soldering?
    It is about 16" tall with a heavy base. It also has a work light. One arm is some type of holder and the other arm has an alligator clip.
    Does anyone know if this has a special name or if it is used for any particular purpose. Other fly tying tools do not look the same
    Thanks in advance for your input

    Mystery Solved
    See all
    Pair Vintage 1930s Art Deco Modern Machine-Age polished Aluminum Table Lamps
    Pair Vintage 1930s Art Deco Modern ...
    Vintage Bankers Desk Lamp W/ Green Glass Shade Student Antique Piano Table Light
    Vintage Bankers Desk Lamp W/ Green ...
    Antique Pr Chinese Republic Period Export Blue & White Porcelain Lamps, NR
    Antique Pr Chinese Republic Period ...
    Vintage mid century modern pyramid desk lamp/night light Working Condition
    Vintage mid century modern pyramid ...
    Pair Vintage 1930s Art Deco Modern Machine-Age polished Aluminum Table Lamps
    Pair Vintage 1930s Art Deco Modern ...
    See all


    1. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 4 months ago
      How interesting! I have a couple smaller variations of 'holders' like this which indeed I use as a 3rd/4th hand when soldering electrical things. No doubt they are also handy for crafting and such, I wouldn't have thought of fly tying but probably that too.
      Similar little helper-holders are currently available at tool stores etc., but yours seems much more elaborate, kind of un-necessarily so even, with too many possible adjusting points that really don't serve to adjust anything but themselves. That, plus the way you've got it pictured here as if it was a 'little man' -- really makes me wonder if somebody put a couple of 'em together (with the lamp) as more of an art piece instead?? If that's the case, it (he!) is WAY-clever?!!
    2. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 4 months ago
      Try looking up lab stands. I have one with multiple arms I use when carving. Mine says lab stand under the weighted base.
    3. Watchsearcher Watchsearcher, 4 months ago
      I also have one. I think I bought mine when I was doing several different craft projects including making tiny dollhouse furniture and needed an extra hand holding parts in place.
    4. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 4 months ago
      They have been on the internet for a long time, just look up robot lamp. Different varieties abound !~
    5. Grayfur1, 4 months ago
      Thanks to all for the clues. I thought this was some kind of special holder, but as PhilDMorris suggested, it appears to just be a Robot lamp - a cool one at that.
      Thanks again,
    6. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 4 months ago
      Very cool - I know at 3 or 4 years ago I wanted one. I think sometimes I prefer your variety over the more steampunk ones.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.