Small gifts from Japanese online auction sellers

In Asian > Japanese Antiques > Show & Tell.
Japanese Antiques25 of 712Odd Wood Carving - Any Ideas?Wood Carved Mizaru, Kikazaru, and Iwazaru

vcalvcal loves this.
Ms.CrystalShipMs.CrystalShip loves this.
Alfie21Alfie21 loves this.
vintagelampvintagelamp loves this.
clockermanclockerman loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
dav2no1dav2no1 loves this.
Vynil33rpmVynil33rpm loves this.
jscott0363jscott0363 loves this.

Posted 12 months ago

kwqd

Here are some of the small gifts I have received from Japanese sellers on online auction sites which accompanied the item I bought. It is a nice little gesture not uncommonly seen from Japanese sellers. In the early 2000s US sellers sometimes included a piece of candy, peppermint, butterscotch, etc., or some other small gift with their item but it has been quite a few years since I have experienced that.

logo
    Japanese Antiques
    Japanese Antique of a Netsuke Monkey trainer (Sarumawashi)
    Japanese Antique of a Netsuke Monke...
    $88
    2 Antique Carved Face-Changing Good And Evil Fan Japanese Netsukes -Signed
    2 Antique Carved Face-Changing Good...
    $77
    JAPANESE SWORD 1883 NAVY ADMIRAL + A SHINTO BLADE PUBLISHED JOHN PLIMPTON BOOK
    JAPANESE SWORD 1883 NAVY ADMIRAL + ...
    $2,890
    2 Vintage Hand Carved Japanese Netsukes of a Boar & a Mice
    2 Vintage Hand Carved Japanese Nets...
    $123
    logo
    Japanese Antique of a Netsuke Monkey trainer (Sarumawashi)
    Japanese Antique of a Netsuke Monke...
    $88

Comments

1. jscott0363 jscott0363, 12 months ago
      How nice!! I especially love the origamis!!
    2. Watchsearcher Watchsearcher, 12 months ago
      For a while I was buying vintage fabric online for a special quilt I was making. One of the sellers would include with the fabric some little token such as a card of vintage buttons or a piece of matching or coordinating fabric. Just a special treat expressing gratitude which always was well received by me. :-)
    3. kwqd kwqd, 12 months ago
      Thanks jscott0363, Vynil33rpm, dav2no1, Watchsearcher, Kevin and Thomas!
    4. apostata apostata, 12 months ago
      Oseibo tradition
    5. apostata apostata, 12 months ago
      you ought to get a O-kaeshi also
    6. kwqd kwqd, 12 months ago
      Thanks apostata! I found an interesting blog post by an American living in Japan with some additional links to other blog posts and several interesting/amusing comments.

7. kwqd kwqd, 12 months ago
      Also:

8. apostata apostata, 12 months ago
      once i was invited to a fancy Japanese dinner . and i was scared s...less , because i had to learn all the rules about dinner habits, and the way you ought to eat, its endless

so in the palms of my hands i wrote , nodding and itadakimasu , but my hands got sweaty . and i lost part of text, and the attache told me itadakimasu dumb,,,, so i murmured something , louder ,,, hole it,s for your host
    9. kwqd kwqd, 12 months ago
      LOL. I attribute my time in Japan as a big part of how I form and maintain social relationships with people which is often confusing to Americans but makes perfect sense to me.

On the opposite end of the scale, I was seeing a woman in Thailand and she took me to see a witch to "read the bones" to predict how our relationship would progress. She was educated and typically super rational but was originally from a rural area where ghosts, spirits and the supernatural were deeply ingrained.

In Thailand and Vietnam their customs often slap you in the face they are so much a part of daily life, but in Japan they are also often so subtle and detailed that they can't just be experienced/absorbed but have to be studied, which can be really exhausting, I found.
    10. kwqd kwqd, 12 months ago
      Thanks for checking out my Japanese okaeshi gifts blunderbuss2, Thomas, mikelv85, Jenni and fortapache!
    11. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 12 months ago
      The Japanese are very polite. A couple came to my Ranch once and asked to buy some apples. I told them I no longer sold them, but to help themselves to whichever tree(s) they would like to pick from. They promised to send a gift. ( most people say, but don’t, boy I have lot of those stories !) A couple weeks later, a package came in the mail. A huge box of assorted teas that they blended themselves. I’m not a tea drinker, but my Son was very happy) Very cool….
    12. kwqd kwqd, 12 months ago
      I know what you mean, Eileen! That must have been a nice experience.

Thanks for loving my Japanese gifts vintagelamp, clockerman and Eileen!
    13. kwqd kwqd, 11 months ago
      Thanks SEAN68 and Alfie21!