Share your favorites on Show & Tell

1861 POSSIBLY Confederate Half Dollar.

In US Coins > Seated Liberty Half Dollars > Show & Tell.
US Coins826 of 9831885 MS-63 Proof-Like Morgan Silver Dollar1835 Bust Half Dollar and 1833 Bust Half Dime
Love it
Like it

officialfuelofficialfuel likes this.
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 7 years ago

(132 items)

This one of my favorite coins because of my interest in the civil war. It has a really cool story. It turns out only 330,000 of these coins were struck under the U.S. Goverment, but Louisiana seceeded and struck 1,240,000 under the state of Louisiana, and 962,633 were struck under the confederate states of america. So if my caucluations are correct, there is a 13% chance that this is a american struck coin, a 49% chance that this is a louisiana struck coin, and there is a 38% chance that this is a confederate struck coin. So, really, it's more then likely that this is a louisiana struck coin, but there's also a better chance that this is a confederate coin then a american coin. You can't argue with percents. :D


  1. Mary Costanza, 7 years ago
    I have an 1861 seated Liberty half dollar in a plastic bag on a card which is partially burned but says its a rare confererate half dollar. The other side has a wreath with a beehive over a shield of stars & strips and says Confederate States of America half dollar. Can you give me any information on this coin. It is marked as a copy from the New Orleans Mint restrike. Would appreciate any information. Thanks.

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.