Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Ruby Glass Ship whisky decanter

In Art Glass > British Art Glass > Show & Tell and Bottles > Decanters > Show & Tell.
British Art Glass646 of 679Stevens Williams Applied Glass RosebowlA Geoffrey Baxter Whitefriars Soda Glass vase pattern number 9599 c1966-70
Love it
Like it

kivatinitzkivatinitz loves this.
SEAN68SEAN68 loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
wolcott1wolcott1 loves this.
michelleamieuxmichelleamieux loves this.
HedgewalkerHedgewalker loves this.
MichiganMillsJrMichiganMillsJr likes this.
vetraio50vetraio50 loves this.
See 6 more
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 7 years ago

(51 items)

If there are any decanter experts out there I would be glad to have your opinion on this piece. It is not marked but it is an exceptional piece of glass It has been hand blown and cut. The edge round the neck is not exact .The pontil mark is polished. It is simply a wonderful piece of work.
I am guessing it is British glass because 'whisky' has no 'e' but it may have been engraved at a later date.

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 7 years ago
    I think the stopper is called a "lozenge" shape. The ship's decanter itself is called a "Rodney" after the British Admiral George Rodney who is said to have designed this shape for personal use in his cabin. It's cut around the rim? Is the bottom round or ovoid? Could be as early as 1820 but the use of 'gold ruby' might put it later in the Victorian period when ruby became all the rage. Scotch whisky was more in vogue then too rather than fortified wines.

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.