Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Can anyone tell me what this is?

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware5214 of 6177My GoodiesMiniature Hatchet
Love it
Like it

fhrjr2fhrjr2 likes this.
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 5 years ago


(1 item)

unscrews at the end of the clear part that has some kind of gold color flakes-came in long wooden box.

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
    Pictures are small and blurry so it is difficult to tell. I have a newer one that is similar but all stainless steel. Mine is for finding and bisecting angles. There are similar tools made for shooting azimuths etc. Is it marked o to 180 by chance?
  2. sandersant, 5 years ago
    It goes- 0 at top of arch to 90 down both sides
  3. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
    Ok, 90 degrees each side equals 180 degrees. I can try researching it but the way it is mounted on the long rod baffles me. If you can post better pictures please do so as you can. This is an interesting item.
  4. sandersant, 5 years ago
    These photo's are better.
  5. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
    I will give this my best shot and let you take it from there. I think it is probably a graphometer. If it was a vertical level or clinometer it would have a sight level. This one is quite basic but needs to be looked at by someone who knows more. They were used to measure both horizontal and vertical angles, usually in survey work. Now days a surveyor or engineer would use a transit. The graphometer has been around for a few hundred years.

    Normally these were marked by the maker because they were seen as precision instruments. Your packaging material shows someone was trying to care for it.

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.