Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Unusual Murano Art Glass Solid Piece

In Art Glass > Murano and Italian Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Murano and Italian Art Glass1185 of 1307Venetian Glass Handmade in Italy- BalboaCAn anybody tell me about this?
Love it
Like it

auraaura loves this.
ozmartyozmarty likes this.
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 6 years ago

(2 items)

I've spent hours searching this particular piece but have not found one, though I've seen several teardrop shaped items almost like it. This one has 2 small, what look to be handles and a clear, pointed peak on it. I took the pictures outside to, hopefully, capture the true colors of blues, greens and burgundy. The measurements are 11 1/2" tall and about 5" across the widest area. From reading descriptions, I believe it to have 'controlled bubbles'. It is solid and very heavy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mystery Solved


  1. ozmarty ozmarty, 6 years ago
    Not controlled Bububbles but somerso technique .
  2. sonshineauctions sonshineauctions, 6 years ago
    Thank you for that! I'm really showing my ignorance in glassware, I'm afraid.
  3. sonshineauctions sonshineauctions, 6 years ago
    Oh, I just looked up the somerso technique and that pertains to the different colors in the glass and is a good term to know when selling glass like this. What I was talking about was the addition of bubbles within the glass as this piece does have some bubbles in it.
  4. vetraio50 vetraio50, 6 years ago
    This is a triple sommerso, I think.
    The label "Cristalleria d'arte murano" is modern.
    These modern triple sommersos are fairly common.
    I don't believe that this form was one of the original designs by Flavio Poli for Archemide Seguso. But then I can be wrong too!
    The grind of the bottom of the vase has an edge that is too crisp.
    Google "Cristalleria d'arte murano" and you will see these modern pieces.
    Some are now being made in China.

    "Controlled bubbles" are actually placed within the form.
    Have a look at this vase by Copier for Leerdam and you will see controlled bubbles:
    Sometimes the controlled bubbles were done with a metal device and at other by the skill of the glass blower. Emanuel Beranek did some 'pulegoso' vases that show how bubbles can dominate the glass completely:
  5. sonshineauctions sonshineauctions, 6 years ago
    Oh my, thank you so much for all the info on this and glass details in general. I have definitely learned so much and though I was hoping this was worth more than it seems to be, the knowledge I've gained is worth my loss in the value. I will now mark this as solved and press on with other things I have. I hope to interact with you all again...have a great day!
  6. ItalianGlassDecor ItalianGlassDecor, 6 years ago

    Cristalerie di Arte is definitely a modern company but they do introduce some stunning Sommerso pieces. The technique used for the bubbles is certainly pulegoso and one of the more difficult to master when blowing


Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.