Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Photo Prop: Same Chair?

In Photographs > Tintypes > Show & Tell and Furniture > Chairs > Show & Tell.
Photographs3091 of 4474Dragon SlidesCased Tintype
Love it
Like it

scottvezscottvez likes this.
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 6 years ago

(136 items)

Is this the same chair in your opinion? This could help identify the man on the right. I think it is, but I know there are a lot more people out there who would know better than I do.
Anyone who'll take a moment and give me their opinion, THANK YOU in advance!


  1. scottvez scottvez, 6 years ago
    This type of chair was used by numerous photographers of the late 19th century. It was specifically made for photographers and had an adjustable arm for different sized patrons.

    Additionally, the fringe on the arm seems much shorter in the first tintype.

  2. antiquesareamazing antiquesareamazing, 6 years ago
    Thanks for the response Scott!
    I thought these were common chairs.
    Also, after I posted this I saw that the fringe was shorter on the first one.
  3. antiquesareamazing antiquesareamazing, 6 years ago
    Also, just curious- is it feasible to find one of those headstands today? I think it would be really neat to have one, I've done some major searching and have found nothing.
  4. scottvez scottvez, 6 years ago
    Are you looking for a headstand or Chair?

    I have seen both offered before but at very high prices. There are some serious antique photograph collectors out there with deep pockets!

  5. antiquesareamazing antiquesareamazing, 6 years ago
    I just thought that a headstand would be cool to have, but as I predicted at a RIDICULOUSLY high price.
    I'm not looking, just curious. I assumed that because of the scarcity of them online, they were expensive!
    I'm not a person with deep pockets, it seems that things that I dream about almost always come with INSANE prices.
    Thanks for your help with these photos!
  6. scottvez scottvez, 6 years ago
    Keep looking-- if you wait long enough you will find one at a bargain!

    Many folks wouldn't know what they are and would describe them as "metal adjustable stand", "iron stand", "stand with clamp", etc...

    Good luck.

  7. antiquesareamazing antiquesareamazing, 6 years ago
    Thanks for the tip. I assumed that anyone who had one and didn't know what it was would just want to get rid of it.
    I'll keep looking, maybe someday I'll find one!!

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.