Share your favorites on Show & Tell

What in the world is that "cup" on his back for

In Folk Art > Animal Folk Art Objects > Show & Tell.
Liked & Loved recently145456 of 168005Roseville cookie jar - freesiaHuge * Unique Vintage PYREX Bowl w/ Spout
Love it
Like it

LISSA-DLISSA-D loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 5 years ago


(1 item)

I acquired this little bird/duck recently, he was peeking out at me from out from a pile of other stuff. Anyway, he captured me right away. The bird is about 18inches long and 14 to the top of his beak. It looks like it is carved out of solid hunk of wood - maybe driftwood. It has some (not a lot) of detailed painting for feathers, red mouth and eyes and has a lacquer finish. I am curious if anyone knows what in the world that "cup-like" indentation would be on his back. It could be an ashtray but it is a bit small (2-3" diameter) and shallow for that. If anyone knows anything about this (age, origin, etc.), please share. For now, we will just stare at one another. Thanks!

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    Maybe for a wooden "dumplin"!

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.