Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Looking for Information - Adjustable Wrench???

In Tools and Hardware > Wrenches > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware4637 of 6443fish scaleRooster/Chicken door stops
Love it
Like it

scottvezscottvez likes this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
See 2 more
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 5 years ago


(7 items)

I found this tool in a box of old tools I purchased at an auction. Looking to see if anyone can confirm if it is sometype of adjustable wrench or something else.

Mystery Solved


  1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    I've got it! No, just lost it. I feel another sleepless nite coming. The end of the shaft with the handle is threaded thru the short cross-bar?
  2. kencou, 5 years ago
    No it is not threaded.
  3. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    Something has to move that block up & down to adj. the spread of the jaws. Of course that still doesn't tell us what it was used on.
  4. kencou, 5 years ago
    It slides up and down. You tighen the screw to hold it in place. That is why I thought it was some type of adjustable wrench. Down opens it. Up tighens it.
  5. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    So the handle doesn't rotate. The teeth are on the inside of jaws meant to clamp something from the side because of the 90 degree forks. Could be used to spread something but the teeth are on the inside. Do we rule out something left by aliens?lol Beginning to think we need help from intelligent life.
  6. TRIKER TRIKER, 5 years ago
    Looks like it could be used for the water main by the curb to my house. The valve "handle" is rectangular. This wrench would reach down into the hole where the valve is located. Then by pushing down on the wrench handle it would grasp the valve "handle" and could then be rotated
  7. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    That's what I finally decided it must be too. Now if somebody else will agree with that, I can catch up on my sleep.
  8. musikchoo musikchoo, 5 years ago
    I believe, if this was for water turn off it would have two bars on the end of the shaft to turn the on- off of the water flow. I think it is some sort of striker to knock out something like a pressed in bearing or something. That is my Guess.
  9. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    Thanks musik. That's 3 in favour of water valve wrench although I'm seen many and none were adjustable.
  10. scottvez scottvez, 5 years ago
    buss-- I will see what I can find on the name you sent to me, later today!

  11. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 5 years ago
    the whole thing is too short for a water valve wrench. sorry to keep you up longer...
  12. kencou, 5 years ago
    Not sure if this will help, but the tool is 9 1/2 inches long. I think it may be some type of adjustable wrench to fit into a tight space.
  13. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    How about an old style basin wrench?
  14. kencou, 5 years ago
    Old Basin Wrench! Never thought of that. I did some research on-line for vintage basin Wrenches and found this:

    It is an old basin wrench for the late 1800's.

    Thanks for all your help.
  15. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    I'll be the first to admit that was a real shot in the dark.
  16. nldionne nldionne, 5 years ago
    Blunderbuss strikes again:)
  17. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    Great, i can get a good nights sleep now!

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.