China Amulet Gold/Silver from the Early 1800's

In Asian > Asian Amulets > Show & Tell.
Asian Amulets5 of 11JAPANESE PENDANTChinese? Hanging Something?  with cert. for gem? and cleaning cloth in nice box!

JonoJono loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
geo26egeo26e loves this.

Posted 9 months ago

scoottmy

I found this Chinese Amulet in a Storage unit of a Coin Collector. The Sleeve that this coin is in says that it is a Rare China Amulet, 75% Silver and 15% Gold. it also says that it is Circa 1800. The amulet weighs between 1/2 oz to 1 oz. through extensive research, I haven't been able to find anything online about this coin/Amulet. I did get it translated at one time but do not recall what it says.

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 9 months ago
    wonder why they melted the two togeather ..rather then staying pure silver or gold..hmmmmmm
  2. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 9 months ago
  3. geo26e geo26e, 9 months ago
    Characters in the first picture are first names of 2 guys, pronounce Wai Hung & Wai Lun (2 brothers perhaps).
    Characters in the second picture translate, plenty of children & plenty of grandchildren.
  4. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 9 months ago
    both post are by geo...lol
  5. scoottmy, 9 months ago
    The pictures don't do justice because of the lighting in my office, but the coins are silver color, and the outer ring seems to show gold, I suppose I could do an acid test and see what happens to verify that it is silver and gold. maybe the 2 guys are a father and a grandfather, who have plenty of children and grand children, just a guess.
  6. scoottmy, 9 months ago
    I added another picture of the sleeve that the amulet came in
  7. geo26e geo26e, 9 months ago
    Scoottmy, the two names are from the same generation as the Chinese use one character, in this case the character 'WAI', to identify the generation in the hierarchy. Hence, cannot be father & grandfather. Hope this info helps.
  8. scoottmy, 9 months ago
    thanks geo, do the symbols say anything that can possibly date the coin/amulet? It would be nice if this is really 75% silver and 15% Gold, but the fact that I cannot find any other Amulet online that is a makeup of Silver and Gold makes me wonder if this is either really rare, or not what it says it is.
  9. geo26e geo26e, 9 months ago
    Scoottmy, I am not an expert on coin/amulet and can only do some very simple translations occasionally. However, this object appears to be more like a gift token than a coin or an amulet. Could be a gift from a rich family giving to the guests for attending a 'male' child birth party (in this case could be twin sons as the names are boys names) as a momento. The packaging dates it circa 1800 appears to be not far off the mark. Unfortunately, this type of momento items are plentiful in China, the actual value would be the gold/silver content itself when melted down. I am sorry I cannot be more helpful in this instance. George
  10. scoottmy, 9 months ago
    I appreciate the Help George, thank you, Every once in a while I find something like this, that I can't find any info on, and any help i can find is much appreciated. I thought maybe I would take this token to chinatown and see if I could learn more about it