Call it beginner’s luck, but a four-year-old kid found a 16th-century gold pendant the other day. It was his first time using a metal detector. The religious locket is decorated with images of the Virgin Mary and the five wounds of Christ. If it is sold, the boy will split the proceeds (its value is estimated at 2.5-million pounds) with the landowner. Not bad for a day’s work!
Top Articles on CW
- Formula for Beauty: The Geo-Chemistry Behind Rookwood Pottery
- Railway Paradise: How a Fine-Dining Empire Made the Southwest Palatable to Outsiders
- Māori Modernism: The New Zealand Artist Who Put the Islands' Native People First
- Fashion to Die For: Did an Addiction to Fads Lead Marie Antoinette to the Guillotine?
- The Hippie Daredevils Who Were Just Crazy Enough to Invent Mountain Biking
- Before Rockwell, a Gay Artist Defined the Perfect American Male
- Why Are America's Most Innovative Companies Still Stuck in 1950s Suburbia?
- If You're Too Young to Remember the Magic of Tower Records, Here's What You Missed
- Walt Whitman—Patriotic Poet, Gay Iconoclast, or Shrewd Marketing Ploy?
- Go Canada! When Gorgeous Graphic Design Lured the World to the Great White North