Call it beginner’s luck, but a four-year-old kid found a 16th-century gold pendant the other day. It was his first time using a metal detector. The religious locket is decorated with images of the Virgin Mary and the five wounds of Christ. If it is sold, the boy will split the proceeds (its value is estimated at 2.5-million pounds) with the landowner. Not bad for a day’s work!
- Could an Old-School Tube Amp Make the Music You Love Sound Better?
- Will the Real Santa Claus Please Stand Up?
- Native American Jewelry Lowdown: The Story Behind Turquoise and Squash Blossoms
- A Life of Cards, From Bridge to Magic
- Naughty Nuns, Flatulent Monks, and Other Surprises of Sacred Medieval Manuscripts
Top Articles on CW
- Untangling the Tale of the Seven Sutherland Sisters and Their 37 Feet of Hair
- Coin-Op Cuisine: When the Future Tasted Like a Five-Cent Slice of Pie
- How America Bought and Sold Racism, and Why It Still Matters
- Making, and Eating, the 1950s' Most Nauseating Jell-O Soaked Recipes
- Did the CIA's Experiments With Psychedelic Drugs Unwittingly Create the Grateful Dead?
- A Guide to Christmas Antiques and Vintage Christmas Decorations
- Should You Feel Guilty About Wearing Vintage Fur?
- You've Got Mail Bombs: Tracking Down the Most Dangerous Letters in the World
- Why the 'Native' Fashion Trend Is Pissing Off Real Native Americans
- When Book Lovers Guarded Their Prized Possessions With Tiny Artworks