Call it beginner’s luck, but a four-year-old kid found a 16th-century gold pendant the other day. It was his first time using a metal detector. The religious locket is decorated with images of the Virgin Mary and the five wounds of Christ. If it is sold, the boy will split the proceeds (its value is estimated at 2.5-million pounds) with the landowner. Not bad for a day’s work!
Top Articles on CW
- Happy Valentine's Day, I Hate You
- From Hospital Gowns to Paper Couture: The Unlikely Origins of '60s Disposable Dresses
- Victorian Era Drones: How Model Trains Transformed From Cutting-Edge to Quaint
- Subversive Sounds: The Straight Men Who Made America's First Gay Record
- How America Bought and Sold Racism, and Why It Still Matters
- Before Rockwell, a Gay Artist Defined the Perfect American Male
- Mechanical Movements of the Cold War: How the Soviets Revolutionized Wristwatches
- That Old-Time Hucksterism: The Oddest Doohickeys of Industrial-Age Entrepreneurs
- The Polyamorous Christian Socialist Utopia That Made Silverware for Proper Americans
- Should You Feel Guilty About Wearing Vintage Fur?