Call it beginner’s luck, but a four-year-old kid found a 16th-century gold pendant the other day. It was his first time using a metal detector. The religious locket is decorated with images of the Virgin Mary and the five wounds of Christ. If it is sold, the boy will split the proceeds (its value is estimated at 2.5-million pounds) with the landowner. Not bad for a day’s work!
Top Articles on CW
- These Chopines Weren't Made for Walking: Precarious Platforms for Aristocratic Feet
- Learning to Love Death: New Museum Takes a Walk on the Shadow Side
- Medicinal Soft Drinks and Coca-Cola Fiends: The Toxic History of Soda Pop
- Google Glassholes: High-Tech Visionaries or Fashion Victims?
- Beer Money and Babe Ruth: Why the Yankees Triumphed During Prohibition
- The Last Laugh: Why Clowns Will Never Die
- Who Were the First Teenagers?
- Untangling the Tale of the Seven Sutherland Sisters and Their 37 Feet of Hair
- Think You Know Ugly? Think Again
- Why Aren't Stories Like '12 Years a Slave' Told at Southern Plantation Museums?