Call it beginner’s luck, but a four-year-old kid found a 16th-century gold pendant the other day. It was his first time using a metal detector. The religious locket is decorated with images of the Virgin Mary and the five wounds of Christ. If it is sold, the boy will split the proceeds (its value is estimated at 2.5-million pounds) with the landowner. Not bad for a day’s work!
Top Articles on CW
- Home in a Can: When Trailers Offered a Compact Version of the American Dream
- What Makes Cartoonist Roz Chast Laugh?
- That Time the French Aristocracy Was Obsessed With Sexy Face Stickers
- The Art of War: Exquisite Chess Sets Once Captured the Game's Global Heritage
- Murder Machines: Why Cars Will Kill 30,000 Americans This Year
- Tarot Mythology: The Surprising Origins of the World's Most Misunderstood Cards
- The Mystery of the Phantom Page Turner
- The Gay Old Days: If You Really Want To See San Francisco's Future, Go Back to 1957
- Guts and Gumption: Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Wore Their Hearts on Their Helmets
- Before Rockwell, a Gay Artist Defined the Perfect American Male