Call it beginner’s luck, but a four-year-old kid found a 16th-century gold pendant the other day. It was his first time using a metal detector. The religious locket is decorated with images of the Virgin Mary and the five wounds of Christ. If it is sold, the boy will split the proceeds (its value is estimated at 2.5-million pounds) with the landowner. Not bad for a day’s work!
Top Articles on CW
- Subversive Sounds: The Straight Men Who Made America's First Gay Record
- That Old-Time Hucksterism: The Oddest Doohickeys of Industrial-Age Entrepreneurs
- Mechanical Movements of the Cold War: How the Soviets Revolutionized Wristwatches
- Before Rockwell, a Gay Artist Defined the Perfect American Male
- Singing the Lesbian Blues in 1920s Harlem
- A Wonderful Life: How Postwar Christmas Embraced Spaceships, Nukes, Cellophane
- Black Panther Women: The Unsung Activists Who Fed and Fought for Their Community
- Driven to Drink: How 1930s Booze Labels Helped Americans Forget Their Troubles
- Behind the Scenes With Janis Joplin and Big Brother, Rehearsing for the Summer of Love
- The Death of Flair: As Friday's Goes Minimalist, What Happens to the Antiques?