Call it beginner’s luck, but a four-year-old kid found a 16th-century gold pendant the other day. It was his first time using a metal detector. The religious locket is decorated with images of the Virgin Mary and the five wounds of Christ. If it is sold, the boy will split the proceeds (its value is estimated at 2.5-million pounds) with the landowner. Not bad for a day’s work!
Top Articles on CW
- The Sharecropper's Daughter Who Made Black Women Proud of Their Hair
- Unboxing Modernism: How the Russian Revolution Spurred Mid-Century Design
- Selling Shame: 40 Outrageous Vintage Ads Any Woman Would Find Offensive
- Female Spies and Gender-Bending Soldiers Changed the Course of the Civil War
- Tarot Mythology: The Surprising Origins of the World's Most Misunderstood Cards
- Drunk History: The Rise, Fall, and Revival of All-American Whiskey
- Someday, Robots May Save or Destroy Us All—For Now, They're Still Kinda Dumb
- Black Is Beautiful: Why Black Dolls Matter
- These People Love to Collect Radioactive Glass. Are They Nuts?
- Anita Pointer: Civil-Rights Activist, Pop Star, and Serious Collector of Black Memorabilia