Call it beginner’s luck, but a four-year-old kid found a 16th-century gold pendant the other day. It was his first time using a metal detector. The religious locket is decorated with images of the Virgin Mary and the five wounds of Christ. If it is sold, the boy will split the proceeds (its value is estimated at 2.5-million pounds) with the landowner. Not bad for a day’s work!
Top Articles on CW
- Making, and Eating, the 1950s' Most Nauseating Jell-O Soaked Recipes
- How a Makeup Mogul Liberated Women by Putting Them in a Pretty New Cage
- Untangling the Tale of the Seven Sutherland Sisters and Their 37 Feet of Hair
- These People Love to Collect Radioactive Glass. Are They Nuts?
- Fashion to Die For: Did an Addiction to Fads Lead Marie Antoinette to the Guillotine?
- Uncovering Clues in Frida Kahlo's Private Wardrobe
- Cooking With Glass: How Pyrex Transformed Every Kitchen Into a Home-Ec Lab
- Cassette Revolution: Why 1980s Tape Tech Is Still Making Noise in Our Digital World
- Would You Put a $300,000 Glass Sculpture on the Hood of Your Car?
- The Killer Mobile Device for Victorian Women