Call it beginner’s luck, but a four-year-old kid found a 16th-century gold pendant the other day. It was his first time using a metal detector. The religious locket is decorated with images of the Virgin Mary and the five wounds of Christ. If it is sold, the boy will split the proceeds (its value is estimated at 2.5-million pounds) with the landowner. Not bad for a day’s work!
Top Articles on CW
- Capturing a Generation of Aviation Geniuses and Their Incredible Flying Machines
- How the Military Waged a Graphic-Design War on Venereal Disease
- Hidden Gems: Lost Hollywood Jewelry Trove Uncovered in Burbank Warehouse
- What Were We Thinking? The Top 10 Most Dangerous Ads
- Cheap Thrills: The Freakish Fantasy Art of Mexican Pulp Paperbacks
- These People Love to Collect Radioactive Glass. Are They Nuts?
- Selling Shame: 40 Outrageous Vintage Ads Any Woman Would Find Offensive
- Laika and Her Comrades: The Soviet Space Dogs Who Took Giant Leaps for Mankind
- A Shock of Schiaparelli: The Surreal Provocateur Who Forever Altered Fashion
- Darling, Can You Spare a Dime? How Victorians Fell in Love With Pocket Change