Call it beginner’s luck, but a four-year-old kid found a 16th-century gold pendant the other day. It was his first time using a metal detector. The religious locket is decorated with images of the Virgin Mary and the five wounds of Christ. If it is sold, the boy will split the proceeds (its value is estimated at 2.5-million pounds) with the landowner. Not bad for a day’s work!
- Mechanical Movements of the Cold War: How the Soviets Revolutionized Wristwatches
- A Life of Cards, From Bridge to Magic
- Shoe Collector Jonathan Walford on Why Footwear Is So Seductive
- How Railroad Tourism Created the Craze for Traditional Native American Baskets
- The Waiting Game: What It Really Takes to Get on 'Antiques Roadshow'
Top Articles on CW
- To Hell With Helvetica: Is an 1874 Type Catalog the World's Most Beautiful Book?
- Hippies, Guns, and LSD: The San Francisco Rock Band That Was Too Wild For the Sixties
- Pushing Buttons: In Our Divided America, Political Pinbacks Give Anyone a Voice
- Untangling the Tale of the Seven Sutherland Sisters and Their 37 Feet of Hair
- From Boy Geniuses to Mad Scientists: How Americans Got So Weird About Science
- Stranger Than Friction: When Matches Were Dangerous, Vestas Kept Us Safe
- The Art of Making People Go Away
- Before Rockwell, a Gay Artist Defined the Perfect American Male
- The Mystery of the Phantom Page Turner
- Selling Shame: 40 Outrageous Vintage Ads Any Woman Would Find Offensive