Call it beginner’s luck, but a four-year-old kid found a 16th-century gold pendant the other day. It was his first time using a metal detector. The religious locket is decorated with images of the Virgin Mary and the five wounds of Christ. If it is sold, the boy will split the proceeds (its value is estimated at 2.5-million pounds) with the landowner. Not bad for a day’s work!
- 'Roadshow' Appraiser Shares How She Assesses Turn-of-the-Century Jewelry
- Take That, Instagram: The Enduring Allure of Vintage Snapshots
- American Picker Dream, Part II: Mike Wolfe On Enduros and Land Rockets
- From Donation Bin to Sotheby's: How a Rare 19th-Century Bible Almost Got Away
- Collecting James Bond, Doctor Who, and The Beatles
Top Articles on CW
- The Great Wallpaper Rebellion: Defending Flamboyance in a World of White Walls
- Welcome to the Retro-Futuristic World of Laurent Durieux
- Love Boats: The Delightfully Sinful History of Canoes
- Roadside Curiosities: Things That Make You Go "What the Heck?"
- Joking Aside, Rube Goldberg Got Tech Right
- The Killer Mobile Device for Victorian Women
- Make It Work: Street Style for the Sensitive German Renaissance Man
- United States of Protest: A Citizen's Guide to 250 Years of Resistance
- Sex and Suffering: The Tragic Life of the Courtesan in Japan's Floating World
- Unusual Suspects: Finding the Humanity in Vintage Mugshots
Roll the Dice“ ” I listened to all the blues 45s and 78s in my big sister’s record collection.