Call it beginner’s luck, but a four-year-old kid found a 16th-century gold pendant the other day. It was his first time using a metal detector. The religious locket is decorated with images of the Virgin Mary and the five wounds of Christ. If it is sold, the boy will split the proceeds (its value is estimated at 2.5-million pounds) with the landowner. Not bad for a day’s work!
Top Articles on CW
- Nice Ice: Valerie Hammond on the Genteel Charm of Vintage Canadian Costume Jewelry
- How Jim Heimann Got Crazy for California Architecture
- Modernist Man: Jock Peters May Be the Most Influential Architect You've Never Heard Of
- Meet Cute: Were Kokeshi Dolls the Models for Hello Kitty, Pokemon, and Be@rbrick?
- When the King of Comedy Posters Set His Surreal Sights on the World of Rock 'n' Roll
- How One Artist Makes New Art From Old Coloring Books and Found Photos
- Say Cheese! How Bad Photography Has Changed Our Definition of Good Pictures
- Middle Earthenware: One Family's Quest to Reclaim Its Place in British Pottery History
- Fancy Fowl: How an Evil Sea Captain and a Beloved Queen Made the World Crave KFC
- Heavenly Metal: How Trench Art Keeps the Memories of Soldiers and Their Service Alive