Old Wall Phone

In Telephones > Wood Telephones > Show & Tell.
Wood Telephones63 of 86Julius Andrae Transmitter Face PlatesAntique wood wall phone

ttomtuckerttomtucker loves this.

mtn_man

I just aquired this old phone and it needs a little TLC. Can you tell me anything about it such as model #, age and types off components. This will help me in finding replacement parts.

Thanks,
Randy

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. ttomtucker ttomtucker, 3 years ago
    Your oak wall telephone was marketed by Julius Andrae & Sons of Milwaukee, WI around 1912. The company was founded in 1893 by Julius Andrae and his son H.P. Andrae. The Andrae Company was primarily a electrical parts supplier and jobber. They assembled and marketed a number of different telephones under their own name. Your telephone is a number 5 series with the fold down shelf. your Andrae transmitter face plate looks like it was replaced with a Western Electric. Over all a nice telephone to own.
  2. mtn_man mtn_man, 3 years ago
    Tom, thanks for the information. Did Julius Andrae have their own transmitter face plates? If so, any idea where I could find one to put it back to original?
  3. ttomtucker ttomtucker, 3 years ago
    Yes Julius Andrae had there own marked face plate, I have seen the face plate show up on Ebay every now and then. I have marked bevel and a plain edge transmitter face plates.
  4. ttomtucker ttomtucker, 3 years ago
    mtn-man, check my show and tell to see the two transmitters face plates,
  5. Randy Farris, 3 years ago
    What gauge of wire is typically used in a phone like this? I need to rewire one.
  6. ttomtucker ttomtucker, 3 years ago
    most cases 22 gauge
  7. Randy Farris, 3 years ago
    Tom, What can you tell me about recharging the magneto magnets on the phone above? The Magneto was rusted and stuck and was lucky enough to get it freed up. It works, but seems to be weak. I'm think the magnets need to be recharged. Any input would be helpful.
  8. ttomtucker ttomtucker, 3 years ago
    Randy, I don't know of any magnetizer for the horse shoe magnets.
  9. oaktown66, 2 years ago
    Hello , I am a first time poster . I just got a 1906 Julius Andrae and Son oak wall phone . Its missing the manufacturer`s name plate ... any chance someone has or knows where to get one ? It has maufacture`s co. signature on the mouthpiece / microphone in brass and has paper serial # and date of production and some other writing on the paper ... No. 42068 Tested by H.A. Date Dec. 11 1906 ... it says style ... but I am having trouble reading the persons script ... its there . I just noticed ... its missing some a ( brass ??? ) piece where the Y fork ( holds the earpiece ) comes out of the oak case . I hope I can find out more and try and find parts for it . Regards Oaktown66