1950's Hit Camera

In Cameras > Show & Tell.
Cameras852 of 920Amateur's Enlarging Camera No.1: S. Wing & CompanyStereoscope & Graphoscope viewer

geo26egeo26e loves this.
kingmonsterkingmonster loves this.
jasman0814jasman0814 likes this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.

mantique_c…

1950's? Miniature Hit Camera, made in Japan. This belonged to my grandmother and was given to me a few years ago along with a few other small items. I would love to know more history on these old cameras as well as it's value... I've seen them listed out there anywhere from $30 - $150.00.

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. rniederman rniederman, 4 years ago
    The Hit camera you show was made by Tougodo Optical in the 1950s. As a fun fact, the company was founded in 1930 by Masanori Nagatsuka and named for Admiral Tougo of the Japanese Navy. The chrome "Hit" model is extremely common and truly excellent examples sell up to $35(ish). Your camera is showing a fair amount wear and tarnish and is worth less.

To collectors, "Hit" is also generic term for any number of subminiature cameras made of stamped metal using 17.5 mm rollfilm to produce 14 x 14 mm images. There are several hundred variations of Hit cameras made by numerous companies, and as you discovered while researching, values vary widely. For example, Hit cameras with occupied Japan markings typically reach $85. Gold colored versions can sell for over $250.

There are also collectors that specialize in Hit cameras. I recently visited one collector that probably had over 400 Hit-style and other subminiature cameras; the most valuable of which was worth about $3,000. Although I specialize in early wood cameras, I had to admit seeing all of these tiny little cameras was truly amazing.
  2. mantique_collector, 4 years ago
    Wow, thanks so much for all the valuable information, rniederman. I really appreciate folks input on this site. I do try to do as much research as I have time for on anything I post beforehand, and try to include that info when I do.
  3. sherri storey, 3 years ago
    In the passing of my grandmother I received a miniature Hit camera. It looks brand new and is in it's original box .
  4. Bob Roy, 3 years ago
    I have a HIT camera in light brown case that says HIT on the case. The camera says Made In Japan not Made in Occupied Japan. Would this have been made before WWII before occupation? Everything works and everything is excellent except a slight blemish on the back of the case which still has the adjustable strap. Can anyone say what the worth might be?
  5. syr752054, 2 years ago
    i have a miniture hit camera in box never used in case with instructions with film how much do you think its worth
  6. rniederman rniederman, 2 years ago
    Hi syr752054 ... more information is needed about your specific camera to be able to estimate a value; model, condition, etc. However, the vast majority of cameras are worth $15 - $25 complete and if in excellent condition.
  7. Jillysmickeyco, 5 months ago
    Ok I have a Hit tiny camera in case, it's gold one, how can I find out how much it's worth or a collector who might want to buy
  8. rniederman rniederman, 5 months ago
    Hi Jillysmickeyco ... I suggest posting your camera here on Show & Tell so that we can see it. You can only ask for advise about the camera because CW prohibits postings that are sales related.
  9. Jillysmickeyco, 5 months ago