Sixth plate thermoplastic photograph case

In Photographs > Show & Tell.
Photographs1968 of 3043Original WW II Kriegsmarine Press PhotoMy Mom and 2 of her siblings

tom61375tom61375 loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
aeonaeon likes this.
michelleamieuxmichelleamieux loves this.
BirdieZBirdieZ likes this.

scottvez

This is a SIXTH plate photographic case, identified as Berg 3- 109 (Ninteenth Century Photographic Cases and Wall Frames).

The hard plastic material is called THERMOPLASTIC a union of gum shellac, wood fiber and a dye; hence the term UNION CASE was often used in the era of manufacture to refer to these cases (and is still used today). The material is NOT "gutta percha", a heated tree sap, although many antique dealers and collectors erroneously use this term.

This particular example carries a "Scovill Mf'g Co." label. The die for the case was originally engraved by Frederick Key and his last name can be found in the design.

Typically red felt is used in photographic cases as the "pillow" cloth, but I find other colors have a more extravagent look. I especially like the blues and greens.

Like many antiques and collectables, prices for these cases really took a nose dive due to ebay and internet sales. 15 years ago, cases of this style and size would typical sell in the $125- 150 range. Now they can be bought at about the $75 level.

Thermoplastic cases can really enhance the display of a quality image.

Thanks for looking,

Scott

Comments

1. scottvez scottvez, 3 years ago
    Thanks for looking Birdie-- if you like antique photographs, I have many unusual ones posted on Collectors Weekly.

Scott
  2. scottvez scottvez, 3 years ago
    Thanks bellin-- as always I appreciate you taking the time to look!

Enjoy the weekend,

Scott
  3. USACollect, 3 years ago
    Hey Scott,
    I got some photos today and I was wondering if you would like to see them. I have several photographs that show a kamikaze pilot flying into a ship and eventually hitting the ship causing an explosion. I got lots of other WWII photographs too. Let me know if you want me to post them.
    Thanks
  4. scottvez scottvez, 3 years ago
    Sounds like a great group of images-- I sure would like to see them!

Scott
  5. michelleamieux michelleamieux, 3 years ago
    This is a beautiful piece. LOVE IT!! USACollect, I would love to see your WWII kamikaze photos, how extraordinary is that??? Have fun everybody, Mich
  6. scottvez scottvez, 3 years ago
    Thanks much Michelle-- USA posted the pics, be sure to pay a visit.

Scott
  7. michelleamieux michelleamieux, 3 years ago
    Thank you Scott, I'm on my way!!
  8. scottvez scottvez, 1 year ago