Posted 7 years ago
- New Zealand - Postage Stamp (Christmas Issue)
- Issued October 1, 1969 / postal canceled (very light) / no hinge, no gum
- Scott# 429 / Denomination: (2 1/2) cents / "Nativity" / multi-color
- Image reproduction of a painting by Federico Fiori titled "Nativity"
- (an oil on canvas circa 1597 housed in the Museo del Prado, Madrid)
** Federico Barocci (1526-1612) was an Italian Renaissance painter and printmaker. - His original name was Federico Fiori, and he was nicknamed Il Baroccio, which still in northwestern Italian dialects means a two wheel cart drawn by oxen.
His work was highly esteemed and influential, and foreshadows the Baroque of Rubens.