Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Need help identifying this

In Bottles > Show & Tell.
Bottles4238 of 5819Small beauties in different shapes and colorsCrystal Decanter
Love it
Like it

Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 5 years ago


(1 item)

My son found this while fishing. It's about 3/4" round. It is heavy, possibly some sort of metal. It has teeth or sprockets around the outside. There are number on it, possibly 78. I'm trying to find out exactly what it is so I can look it up online. I'm not even sure what category to post in in. Possibly a button? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Lisa

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. FloridaTreasures FloridaTreasures, 5 years ago
    definately looks like a bottle cap. try putting a magnet to it.
  2. packrat-place packrat-place, 5 years ago
    I concur, its a bottle cap, they have been making them since 1892.
  3. mclisa81, 5 years ago
    Thanks for the quick replys.
  4. mclisa81, 5 years ago
    I just wet it with water and the raised letters showed up better. It is a raised 3A. It's attracted to the magnet. And it's exactly 5/8" round. The "sprockets" are on the top and bottom of it, the pics are showing the top and bottom (kind of like if you stuck 2 bottle caps together). It's definitely not anything I've seen before. I'm going to continue searching online to see what I can find. Thanks for all your suggestions. Lisa
  5. mclisa81, 5 years ago
    I've uploaded new images. The first one shows the letters which I now think may be 8A. The second is again the top. The 3rd (blurry) image is the piece on it's side showing the bottom. The 4th is the side view. The edge does look like a bottle cap, but is the same on the top and bottom. Lisa
  6. mclisa81, 5 years ago
    Yes the Connecticut river. He was probably in the Enfield/East Windsor CT area.
  7. packrat-place packrat-place, 5 years ago
    Well, the whole bottle cap thing is out.
  8. packrat-place packrat-place, 5 years ago
    Yes, however, I find quite a few things I have no idea what they are. Now with better pics and something to compare it to, the way it is broken makes me now think it is a small knob off an old tool. They still make them that look quite a bit like that today. The serrations are so you can get a good finger grip, so you can tighten and loosen it with two fingers.
  9. mclisa81, 5 years ago
    Ok, it's good to know it's something that was already broken. When I was taking the pics, a piece of the "serrated" edge chipped off. It'll be easier to explain to my son now. Packrat & eye4beauty, I looked at both of your collections and they are very nice. I'm glad I found this site and will be back here often. Thanks for all your help. Lisa

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.