Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Copper Kettle with side studs

In Kitchen > Kettles > Show & Tell and Kitchen > Copper Cookware > Show & Tell.
Copper Cookware91 of 103Eggs! Soft, Medium, or Hard 1932 Copper singing chick!  Pot!!Large Copper Pot
Love it
Like it

tom61375tom61375 loves this.
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 5 years ago


(4 items)

I need help identifying what the studs are for on the sides of this copper water kettle. There are two studs on each side, each about 3/4" in length with the end being larger than the shaft. They extend slightly downward from the kettle. The only thing I can think of is that they're used to suspend the kettle on two rods over a fire, although there's no evidence to suggest it's been used like this (soot, uneven tarnish patterns, etc.). The inside of the kettle (see picture) has been fortified to handle the studs. The mark on the bottom shows "F.A.W&C" along with a "1" under it, and an "N" under that. I can't find record of any company with that name.

The kettle itself looks very well made. The wooden handle is solid to the handle, and the handle is riveted and secure (no wobble at all) to the kettle. The kettle stands 9" high and 7" wide (8 1/2" wide including the studs). It weighs more than normal kettles of it's size (2 pounds), probably owing to the buttressing for the studs.

Any help identifying the reason for the studs, or the company, would be greatly appreciated.

Mystery Solved


  1. chinablue chinablue, 5 years ago
    Very interesting little kettle! Just a thought..maybe they are for suspending it over the heat source in some type of holder... or perhaps it's some form of a Turkish tea kettle with this being the upper kettle? I'll be interested to see what you find out about this! :-)
  2. Guinness12, 5 years ago
    Thanks to a new friend I discovered this is a "tipping kettle". It's designed to sit on a warming stand, over a heat source, on one set of studs (one on either side) and tip to pour out the tea (no lifting required). So, what I have is the tipping kettle, but not the stand.
  3. chinablue chinablue, 5 years ago
    Glad you found out what it was called and thanks for letting us know. I didn't know the actual name for it, but actually saw one in silver today in the holder.
  4. Guinness12, 5 years ago
    Thanks chinablue! Looks like your original thought was spot on ("for suspending it over the heat source in some type of holder")!
  5. chinablue chinablue, 5 years ago
    You're very welcome Guinness12. Now you just have to be on the lookout for a stand! :-)

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.