Share your favorites on Show & Tell

What is this for?

In Railroadiana > Show & Tell.
Railroadiana777 of 1317Cotton Belt Fordyce pocket watchOperation Lifesaver Express Railroad Mug
Love it
Like it

Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 10 years ago

    (1 item)

    I'm not sure what this was used for. It looks like some kind of switch that the railroad used. It's stamped with C.B. & Q. R.R. on the top. There's a tag on the inside that gives the Drop Away volts and amps, Pick Up volts and amps, and Working volts and amps, and is dated June 28th, 1968. All four sides of the base have glass panels so you can see inside of it. You can see the contacts in the base. There are 4 of them. It kind of looks like telegraph contacts. Is it for sending signals of some sort? I got it from a garage sale. I just thought it looked kind of neat, and I had never seen one before. Sorry if the pictures are bad. I don't have a good camera.

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    See all
    LEGO Ideas Ship in a Bottle Building Kit 92177 Gift Collectible Set | NEW
    LEGO Ideas Ship in a Bottle Buildin...
    Victrola Vintage 3-Speed Bluetooth Suitcase Record Player with Built-in Speakers
    Victrola Vintage 3-Speed Bluetooth ...
    Star Twinkle Medium Lights Pegs Ceramic Christmas Tree Bulbs VINTAGE 25 Per Bag
    Star Twinkle Medium Lights Pegs Cer...
    Incredible Baseball Cards Storage Find - Vintage Sealed Wax Packs Card Lot
    Incredible Baseball Cards Storage F...
    LEGO Ideas Ship in a Bottle Building Kit 92177 Gift Collectible Set | NEW
    LEGO Ideas Ship in a Bottle Buildin...
    See all


    1. Gumby, 10 years ago
      It's 7" wide, 6" deep, and 8" in height.
    2. railnsail, 10 years ago
      It is in fact a signal relay. This type of relay was used for crossing lights and block signals. It may have a tag which says either Union Switch & Signal or General Railroad Signal co. on it. For the most part they operated on 32 volts DC.
    3. Gumby, 10 years ago
      Railnsail, thanks for the insight! I doesn't say Union Switch & Signal or General Signal Co. on it anywhere. On the tag it says the Drop-Away Volts are 2.0, the Pick-Up Volts are 5.7, and the Working Volts are 6.0. Thanks for your help!

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.