SILVER AND TURQUOISE?

In Fine Jewelry > Native American Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Native American Jewelry55 of 168Turquoise and ?Native American Sterling cuff... looking for info

Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
DrFluffyDrFluffy loves this.
valentino97valentino97 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

LauraL

Can anyone help? Is this old? Anyone know what kind of stones these are and is this Native American? I love it and want to know more. Thank you.

Comments

1. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    It looks like a Navajo piece. The silver beads have a nice hand-made seam connection. I am not an expert on the different turquoise mines. Looks good to me>
  2. LauraL, 1 year ago
    Some of the stones are bluish tone and others are greenish.. Is that turquoise? Thanks.
  3. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    Yes - turquoise changes colors over the years: perfume, body oil - and stabilization techniques such as dying. If you have time to look on the internet you'll see all the different colors of turquoise from different mines. I would start w/AZ and NM.
  4. LauraL, 1 year ago
    Hello ... How would one start to guess? Is there any idea as to how old this might be? I see no markings anywhere on it. thank you.
  5. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    Well - machined silver beads would not have a seam. Newer examples tend to have all the same color turquoise. But it changes over the year. For example - you've seen petit-point rings that have a lot of little turquoise but the colors don't match - you think "why would they do this?" not so - most likely was all the same color when made. I'm only guessing - could be 1930's-70's. Some items have been restrung but I believe yours has linen/cotton string so might be original. Native American jewelry was SO popular in the 70's that many older pieces were restrung or assembled w/newer stones. If you live close to a trusted dealer. I would ask or compare your item to what they have. One other thing - picture 3 - see the amber color "glue" looking substance? Yes - that is probably glue or some other stabilizer. I know this because I have some stones w/this same substance.
  6. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    These are real Turquoise from different mines..and the silver would be maybe coin silver or low grade silver...very traditional to give to a young boy or girl...lovely...
  7. LauraL, 1 year ago
    Thank you both for the information... How do you know the age? It seems to be on a twisted silver thread. How do you know what mines? Is it then restrung? It is a large necklace. (Large stones.) Thank you.
  8. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    Sorry Laura - I told you a few things "to start to guess" but also check a bunch of books out of the library and MOST effective - take it to a dealer who specializes in Native American jewelry - compare and ask questions. There's some good dealers on the internet too for excellent examples. Excuse my typos - I meant turq. changes over the YEARS - not year....
  9. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    Valnetino, yes it does change over time...and darkens...and was around 1940-60's
  10. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    I am in the jewelry business for the past 15 years or better......
  11. LauraL, 1 year ago
    Thank you. :) Looked for local shops that could help and none available. Thanks.
  12. LauraL, 1 year ago
    This was packed away with another necklace and some loose pieces.. Any idea on those? (Will post in new show and tell posting.) Thank you. Are they the same time?
  13. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    There's another clue - how long were these items packed away for?
  14. LauraL, 1 year ago
    Not sure but many years. Thank you.