Red Comet Fire Extinguishers

In Firefighting > Fire Extinguishers > Show & Tell.
Fire Extinguishers91 of 110Old H.D. Hudson Fire ExtingisherGlass Bulb Fire Extinguisher

jmackjmack loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel likes this.
jackartjackart likes this.

Trent

I bought this at a garage sale this week in Ohio. It says Red Comet on the grenades. It's a complete set of all six with the liquid in side all.....I know its hazardous. Paint is fading on 3 of them. The other three are in mint condition. You can still make out the " FOR FIRE" on the front of the box. This also comes with a certificate that says "Red Comet Replacement Guarantee Certificate". It also says "Littleton, Colorado". The certificate has a copyright date of 1947 on one side and F130F-2-10-47 on the other. Any other info on this or possibly how much it's worth would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

1. Pat Holohan, 4 years ago
    Good evening. Red comet was one of the largest manufacturers of the carbon-tet fire grenades. I have a salesman kit on my web site http://www.oldfirestuff.com . It includes everything that the walking salesman needed to sell these early home fire protection devices on a "door to door" basis. They used alot of testimonials form fire departments & fire protection people and its all there in the kit. They weighed heavy on "scare" tactics & dramatic photos of uncontroled fires. In the above kit there is a actual photo of a "fire house" on fire. I understand that after the soldiers returned from WW II, everybody was looking for jobs. So red comet hired and sent them from door to door, like the old Fuller Brush Man, if you grew up in the 50's & 60's. Of course now the carbon-tet used in these extinguishers is considered a hazardous material & shipping these things is very regulated & expensive. If you break one inside a public building you could have a "haz-mat" incident. Hope this info helps you, any questions contact me. Thanks
  2. Trent Trent, 4 years ago
    Thanks Pat I really enjoyed that little bit of history on them.
  3. oldfirestuff, 4 years ago
    If you contact me on my web site and ask for some red comet literature. I will scan some in & send to you. Pat H.
  4. Trent Trent, 4 years ago
    Thanks Jackart!
  5. jesse, 4 years ago
    How much are the fire balls worth?
  6. Trent Trent, 4 years ago
    I have seen them on Ebay sell for $50-100 for one grenade. Not sure how much the whole thing is worth. You have to be careful with these things because they contain carbon tet. Thanks for looking Jesse!
  7. jesse, 4 years ago
    I have a leather case containing 8 balls. Wat am I lookin at?
  8. porkysmom, 2 years ago
    ihave one clear one that has a heavy plastic casing for hanging on the wall. there is no box or date. it does say colorado. it was with my moms stuff when she passed away. it took me a long time to find out what is. that was 13 yrs ago. is it worth anything? or i can give it to the fire dept to get rid of. i'm kinda scared of it.
  9. krispark, 6 months ago
    I have been cleaning out a family house and have maybe 10 of them still in the boxes, I believe they are the ones in the plastic cases. what do I do with them?
  10. jonbillyjoe jonbillyjoe, 5 months ago
    Ill buy them
    Call me 701 630 2106
  11. NanaR, 4 months ago
    We just emptied my parents home and found 9 frosted glass Red Comet on the grenades and 2 empty holders. 5 are in their original boxes packed in shredded paper dating Jan. 25, 1946. The holders are a mustard yellow. Anyone interested in them? Will take pictures if that would help.