Antique beaded purse

In Bags > Mesh and Beaded Purses > Show & Tell.
Mesh and Beaded Purses27 of 50Civil War Time glass beads embroidered PurseVINTAGE PURSES

Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
solversolver likes this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.

pickrknows

I would like to know if anybody could enlighten me on this item I inherited years ago. It is priceless to me because of who it came to me from, but I would like to know more about it, as in country these are made, date, anything else of relavance. Thank-you

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. pickrknows pickrknows, 3 years ago
    Thank-you scandinavian_pieces!
  2. solver, 3 years ago
    It is a beautiful bag and the best part is the wonderful memories it gives you.

It's a beaded drawstring bag known as a reticule. It's hard to tell from the photo but it appears the beads are glass and the top, known as the header, looks to be knitted (or it could be crocheted, hard to see) with a cord drawn through in order to close it and use as a handle. Again, the photo doesn't show it, but it possibly had a beaded tassel attached to the bottom.

It's difficult to date these bags and determine the country of origin unless they have specific characteristics in the design, frame (which yours doesn't have), and construction. Many were made in Germany, Czechoslovakia, Italy, and France. I am far from an expert, and am guessing it's circa 1890-1910.

For reference purposes only, here is an example of a Germany banded floral beaded reticule.
    SEE ITEM NO. 9:
  3. pickrknows pickrknows, 3 years ago
    Thank-you so much solver, you are an asset to the site!This is a great link, helps with having so many pictures of diff. styles, now i can even identify a "reticule",never even heard of that before! Thanks again, bernie
  4. pickrknows pickrknows, 3 years ago
    Thanks officialfuel!
  5. solver, 3 years ago
    My pleasure, bernie. You could hang it on the wall (just hook the cord handle over a small nail) or, since vintage and retro fashion is so "in," let your your wife, daughter, or significant other use it as a unique evening bag.
  6. pickrknows pickrknows, 3 years ago
    Hey solver, thanks again. I'll probably end up putting it in a curio cabinet when I get around to making one . My wife & daughter are not into "vintage" or "antique" whatsoever, they would likely chuck all my "treasures" first chance they got!
  7. pickrknows pickrknows, 1 year ago
    Thank-you mustangtony & Moonstonelover21 for the "love"!!