Posted 4 years ago
The Grateful Dead's Truck from 1966, originally known to deadheads as “The Dred.” Starting in early 1966, this 1949 one-ton Studebaker truck was purchased and used by Owsley Stanley to move the grateful dead's sound equipment to various gigs in the bay area, from the mid 60s to the early 70's. Among other journeys into the rock and roll history of the grateful dead, Owsley also used this truck to move the Grateful Dead down to L.A. for a recording gig and for the appearance of the Dead at the Acid Tests in L.A in mid 1966.
“The Dred” truck was given the name in 1966 by Owsely Stanley, the early and noted LSD chemist who, among his other 1960s contributions, he was also the the primary designer of the infamous ‘wall of sound system’ for the Dead. Stanley was the owner of this truck in 1966 and as their first manager and soundman, used this truck during the summer of love to help move the psychedelic sound around town...
originally painted factory red when bought second-hand by stanley...until a friend of Stanley's painted the body in a soft psychedelic manner, using the original red color as part of the designs color palette.
we are wanting to hear from fans who might have photos or stories about this truck. thanks!