Posted 4 years ago
Fruit, shown above in an early 1940s Terra Rose finish, was Stangl Pottery most popular, longest produced and consistently best-selling dinnerware pattern. KAY HACKETT designed this pattern in late 1941, it was introduced as a short salad set in January 1942. Fruit was immediately popular, and was expanded to a full dinner service by 1945. It continued in active production right up to Stangl's closing in 1978.
This is a 12" Platter/Chop Plate with the Stangl pottery,Flemington NJ Terra Rose finish and back stamp.
Stangl Pottery in Flemington, New Jersey originally began in 1814 as Hill Pottery. In the 1860s Hill Pottery was acquired by Abram Fulper and in 1910 his grandson William H. Fulper II changed the company name to Fulper Pottery Co. During that year they hired ceramic engineer Martin Stangl to develop pottery glazes and shapes for their Fulper line.
Stangl left for four years in 1914 to go to Haeger Pottery and create its new pottery line. However, in 1919 he returned and by 1924 he was named vice president of the company. During 1924 he was responsible for the introduction of the first open stock solid color dinnerware in America. During the 1920s another smaller factory was built at the Flemington, New Jersey site and they were also able to acquire a large existing pottery facility in Trenton, New Jersey. In 1929 the original factory was burned in a fire, so the other two factories took on all production. It was also in this year that Martin Stangl purchased the Fulper Pottery Company, changing its name to Stangl Pottery.
In 1935, production was ceased at the small remaining Flemington location, and that building was utilized solely as a retail showroom for the company?s ceramic products, becoming one of the nations first ?factory outlets.??(1) During the 1930s and 1940s Stangl began making the bird figurines that were very popular and are still coveted by collectors, fetching about $75 for a single bird. In the 1940s Stangl introduced his hand carved and hand painted dinnerware, which is his best known product. These dishes can be found through out New Jersey in antique shops as well as on the internet. Depending on their rarity and condition they can be priced anywhere from $5 for individual pieces to $400 for some sets. Stangl dinnerware was sold throughout America in over 3000 department and gift stores.
From 1935 to 1978, the Stangl Flemington Outlet showroom was a highly visited tourist destination. Many bus trips up and down New Jersey had a designated stop at the Flemington outlet so that people could partake of bargains offered in high quality pottery.
In 1978 Stangl pottery closed for good and was purchased by Pfaltzgraf. However, working with the owners, in April 2000 the Hill-Fulper-Stangl Museum display was opened in the original Stangl kiln. "This display became a popular focal point for many Flemington Outlet visitors over the years.?(2) Unfortunately, due to flooding and structural issues, the museum was forced to close.