Antique Whitefriars Glass

Whitefriars Glass got its name from the white habits worn by the Carmelite Fathers, who established a monastery close to the River Thames in 1241. Centuries later, perhaps in 1680, the monastery's location on what had become London's Fleet Street would make it convenient place for a glass factory, as deliveries of the sand used to manufacture glass generally got to London be via river barge. By 1834, that same factory, now called...Continue Reading