Share your favorites on Show & Tell

What is this?

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
jonideco's loves5 of 13Great uncle Julius Brown- 331stfield artillery united states army 1917Lighted Krispy Kreme Sign
Love it
Like it

tom61375tom61375 loves this.
jonidecojonideco loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 8 years ago

    (1 item)

    This item was in my Grandmas house, and she never knew what it was. I assumed it was found in the home when they moved there in 1950, along with several other items.
    It is made of wood and metal, it's spiky, and small. It comes in it's own wood box, which looks as if it has an area for extra parts, but this area is only 1/2 the size of the actual spiky roller.
    When we were children we would dare each other to run it over our feet or forearms... loads of fun when playing in Grandmas basement!
    I tried searching information about this, and it looks like a modern day 'dermaroller'!

    Mystery Solved
    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    Antique Cabinet Furniture Key Hollow Barrel Skeleton Key
    Antique Cabinet Furniture Key Hollo...
    Vintage Civil War Cap & Ball Pistol Bronze Door Knocker, NO RESERVE
    Vintage Civil War Cap & Ball Pistol...
    OLD Stanley Bedrock Bed Rock No. 604 Hand Plane Tool
    OLD Stanley Bedrock Bed Rock No. 60...
    Antique Vintage Stanley Bedrock 604 Carpenters  Wood Plane with Aluminum Handle
    Antique Vintage Stanley Bedrock 604...
    Antique Cabinet Furniture Key Hollow Barrel Skeleton Key
    Antique Cabinet Furniture Key Hollo...
    See all


    1. TallCakes TallCakes, 8 years ago
      only thing that come to mind is a pastry docker
    2. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 8 years ago
      That is a perforator. Modern ones are stainless steel with a plastic handle and are called woodpeckers. Your extra compartment would have probably held different width spacers that go between the actual spikes.
    3. Kleanza7, 8 years ago
      Awesome THANK YOU fhrjr2!!! I'm still curious what project the original owner may have needed this for, but this solves what it is!
    4. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 8 years ago
      They are used to poke holes in different types of film wrap and or shrink wrap type materials. The holes let trapped air escape and help prevent condensation. There are perforators for cardboard and even wood but the spikes on this item seem quite fine.
    5. Kleanza7, 8 years ago
      Yes they are fine, and when rolled on paper, the spikes don't make contact. The wooden sides are longer than the spikes themselves.
    6. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 8 years ago
      That isn't unusual because these were used on a variety of material. This could have been used for beading belts of a given width or any number of other things. If you research spike perforators or even spike rollers you should find them. Spike rollers are often much bigger and have a four foot handle or are made to mount in a machine. Although there are hand spike rollers.
    7. Kleanza7, 8 years ago
      Wow this is such helpful information! Thank you so much!

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.