Posted 6 years ago
- New Zealand - Postage Stamp (Christmas Issue)
- Issued October 6, 1971 / canceled (postal used) / no hinge, no gum
- Scott# 481 / Denomination: (3) cents / "Holy Night" / multi-color
- Image reproduction of a painting by Carlo Maratta titled "Holy Night"
- (an oil on canvas housed in the Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister, Dresden)
** Carlo Maratta or Maratti (1625-1713) was an Italian painter, active mostly in Rome, and known principally for his paintings executed in a Late Baroque Classical manner. Although he is part of the classical tradition stemming from Raphael,
he was not exempt from the influence of Baroque painting and in his use of colour.