Galalith or french bakelite earrings

In Costume Jewelry > Costume Jewelry Earrings > Show & Tell.
Costume Jewelry Earrings325 of 447FOLK ART EarringsVintage Lunch at the Ritz Peacock Earrings

auraaura loves this.
ElisabethanElisabethan loves this.
valentino97valentino97 loves this.

Newtimes

These two pairs of earrings are made from galalith. Sometimes they call galalith 'French Bakelite'.
Galalith or milkstone is a synthetic plastic material, made with casein and formaldehyde. The name galalith derives from the greec words for milk (gala) and stone (lithos). It was made in the beginning of the 20st century to imitate ivory, horn and bone. Lots of product were made from galalith: white piano keys, pens, jewelry...It was cheap to make but it could not be moulded. Production slowed by WWII: milk was necessary as food and so other plastics were promoted.

Comments

1. valentino97 valentino97, 4 years ago
    Thanks for this info - I believe I also own these brown earrings! Galalith isn't as stable as bakelite is it? I didn't know it was a milk product. I have a few things that must be galalith and will post them later. Thanks again!
  2. Newtimes Newtimes, 4 years ago
    Hey valentino97, well it could be possible you have the same earrings. I got these from the US!
    Looking forward to your post.
  3. Newtimes Newtimes, 4 years ago
    Thanks again valentino97 and mustangtony for loving it
  4. valentino97 valentino97, 4 years ago
    Well - they have something in common then. Just posted the galalith items I was thinking of. Thanks for the info!
  5. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 11 months ago
    Newtimes, I have two pair of earrings
    similar to the brown ones. They are very lightweight. Are your to? I will post mine later today or so.
  6. Newtimes Newtimes, 11 months ago
    Hello Elisabethan, these earrings are not particularry lightweight. I will try to put them on a scale in the near future ;-)
    Have found some other nice galalith jewelry recently...but I lack time to post them...sorry for not responding very soon
  7. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 11 months ago
    That's quite alright Newtimes, you have children (they were interested in your bakelite bangle) and so do I. I know how it is. I'm interested when you get around to it.
  8. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 11 months ago
    I have posted my screwback earrings now, if you want to have a look.